Gearing Up My Tools Set

Affnan

Its looks like I'll be serious in doing watches.. firstly I work with tools all my life in the Aviation industry doing Avionics or B2 in the European area and we use high quality tools no compromise there. On the personal ground I do love doing Cars and Bikes and as I said before, age is cropping up and I am not in the prime as I once was. Watch making looks like a good alternative when I retired.. in few years.

So here I am doing watches... and from the few reply I got on my intro post.. many here are somehow in the same boat.. 

Only started to have interest on watches late last year and buying tools to do the simple job, since I am learning. The tools I have are mostly Chinese made.. and it does say "High Quality" .. well it doesn't cut it, especially the smaller end of the scale where they fail.. either sending screws flying or distorted tip of the screw drivers.

Decided to take the plunge and take a deep breathe and go for better quality tools... what I had in mind was A*F, Horotec and Bergeon .. Bergeon being last in the list due to the price scares me.. Visited a watch shop in Kuala Lumpur to check what tools they have and it look like I have to reach deeper since they do mostly Bergeon.. !!! :(

My first high quality tool to show and replacing the ones that I use ... 

Bergeon Screwdriver Set No. 30081-S09

post-660-0-25683600-1429941567_thumb.jpg

Replacing my "High Quality" Chinese set... :) on the right.

post-660-0-30894300-1429941651_thumb.jpg

Being 53, its obvious my eye sight is no more 20-20 so I have to take care of what is left. I need a better loupe then I am using now.. those are the cheap dime a dozen on ebay.. so a Bergeon No 2611 No. 2 Loupe is added to the **BLEEP**nal.

post-660-0-55227400-1429941831_thumb.jpg

As a start, these are the higher quality tools that I am getting to replace my current sets of tools. I do not want to over do it .. slowly but surely and like most people doing new stuff I am trying hard to avoid the "Gear Crazy" bug

Really interesting topic, i was aiming to change my cheap tools into a Bergeon tools.

So, where/how can i buy Bergeon tools with safety about the authenticity?

Check that screen

image.jpg

I'm a 99% sure, that isn't an original.

Do you follow any particular seller on Ebay?

• Like 1

@ Icarus,

Have you tried local suppliers near your place?...or even directly from UK or USA? We have a section here where you can find suppliers from all over, make sure you check them out for convenience!

@ Affnan,

Good move, Affnan, you will notice the difference and will enjoy your work more!

Cheers,

Bob

• Like 1

@ Icarus,

Have you tried local suppliers near your place?...or even directly from UK or USA? We have a section here where you can find suppliers from all over, make sure you check them out for convenience!

Yes, my father it's a watchmaker for almost 20 years and his dont care much about the tools quality as i, so we know all the sellers here in my region, they ALL sell only #$%@# stuffs from china.

I never bought Tools from Ebay, becose of this i asked, i'll try to search this section on fórum.

Thank you, Bob

• Like 1

To buy absolute genuine then I would avoid eBay use a recognised supplier. The oyster case opener for Rolex I purchased & it did not work it slipped under pressure. Purchased the Horotec case opener with the appropriate die & no problems.

• Like 2

@ Icarus,

@ Affnan,

Good move, Affnan, you will notice the difference and will enjoy your work more!

Cheers,

Bob

Yes.. Bob.., it is so much easier as compared to my previous set... no slips and it is a very sure footer on the screw. It worth the hard earned cash that I paid for it.

@Icarus, those tool on ebay that you show tho the box is yellow, they will come with a Chinese names. I did purchase 1 or 2 of those as Clockboy said.. is very true, I experience the same. I had ordered one item from Cousinsuk and waiting for it, will see if it's ok I'll purchase more from them since I find their postage is very reasonable.

Affnan