Filing rest

LittleWatchShop

I have had an obsession for finding a filing rest.  Bid on one recently that went over $350.  Had no clue it would go that high.  I did not get it.

So after looking at what others had done, I decided to try a DIY.  Here is Rev A.  The larger round element is threaded so I can adjust height.

Miles to go before I sleep.

2021-08-19 20_32_32-20210819_202247.jpg ‎- Photos.png

2021-08-19 20_32_12-20210819_202314.jpg ‎- Photos.png

2 hours ago, jdm said:

Very good. Have you seen the one by Dean Williams

http://www.deansphotographica.com/machining/projects/filingrest/filingrest.html

His entire project collection has inspired me a lot.

Yes, I had seen that. His solution is better than mine. If I had the mill he has, I would do something similar. 

23 minutes ago, LittleWatchShop said:

Yes, I had seen that. His solution is better than mine. If I had the mill he has, I would do something similar. 

Before getting a bigger combo machine, I got a TAIG milling column and basic vice from Nick Carter, and used a bit on my Unimat 3 lathe copy. Works OK for light and small size work.

4 hours ago, oldhippy said:

It's a very handy tool to have. Using with an indexing plate shell we say for making a square on an arbor it comes in handy.  

Yup...that is why I built this...so that I can make stems.  As is standard for WW lathes, mine has an indexing headstock.

I may need to do a Rev. B of this thing to expand the distance between rollers so that I can get the filing closer to the collet.  I won't know until I do some tests.

• 5 months later...