New Bench Micometer

chadders1966

Hi,

I bought this bench micrometer recently for a great price. Following a thorough clean of the spindle and barrel it's working really smoothly on the ratchet and I'm pleased with it. Cosmetically I'm wondering if anything can be done with the body, which I assume is chromed whilst other parts are steel. It looks as though sandpaper or some similar abrasive has been taken to it. I'm asking for any advice as I don't know a great about metal - is it even posible to repair such scratches/scrapes? If not is there any type of chrome or similar paint that can be applied to at least make it look better? Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

Stephen

PS Sorry if the photo is a bit large - I'm new to this!

post-373-0-40041700-1429869777_thumb.jpg

Hi Stephen,

I can't recognize what is in the picture although you mention bench micrometer. It looks like the bottom part of a staking or jeweling tool or similar instrument. I would say if you are not touching the measuring parts, i.e. scale, step adjustment mechanism or any other significant part, you can sand it, paint it, in fact, do anything you think would please your eye. A word of caution, whatever is related to the actual function of the micrometer should not be touched or you are risking false measurements and/or out of level/center work.

If it was me, I wouldn't touch it since it is not broken and it works fine. I usually keep my tools in their boxes/cases and/or covered so the dust won't get to them. Since I'm not displaying them it doesn't matter and if I have to show them, I do with the pride of knowing it is an honestly used tool that is serving me well with the natural scars of a thousand battles! I believe there is a Chinese saying about going with the doctor/physician that has the most dead people in his "list", because it shows experience! :)

I hope it helps,

Cheers,

Bob

• Like 1

Hi Bob,

Yes, it's a bench micrometer (another giant photo attached). I put a close up as I wanted to show the damage to the surface, which I believe is chrome. Normally I wouldn't do anything myself, but this is such a fine tool in great condition. I think at some point someone has sanded it for some reason, and left it a mess. That's why I asked for any information on repairing scratches/scrapes on chrome, or even painting if neccessary. If you look up this make of micrometer online you'll see it is meant to have an almost mirror shine, which I would like to return if possible. All this is cosmetic though, it works just fine.

Stephen

post-373-0-70643500-1429890600_thumb.jpg

Oh, I see now, it is fantastic. Thank you for the picture. Please, don't even touch the finish, I love the vintage looks and that it is shiny where it matters! Also, short of a chrome plating I don't think it will go back to its original state and that would be expensive. I honestly wouldn't know what to do either other than enjoy it! Congratulations on a fantastic tool!

Cheers,

Bob

PS. Geo is right there is a chance you may strip the chrome. We were posting at the same time!

• Like 1

I probably will end up leaving it as it is, it's just superficial damage. I just get annoyed that someone has done it in the first place - at least it meant I got it for a good price! I might get those pastes though Geo, can't complain at the price.

Clockboy, I wanted to get a decent one handed desktop measure. It was either this or a Feintaster. Apart from the fact this was considerably cheaper, I don't think you can beat a screw micrometer for accuracy. It certainly looks good anyway.