Seiko 7009A what's going on here

Paul80

Hi all

I have just stripped another Seiko 7009A movement and found something I have not seen on any of the other 7009A movements I have stripped

The Photo below is a closeup showing where the Main Spring barrel locates and as you can see some of the plating has been removed and three hard dots of something have been placed there on one side of the hole, I have tried the usual solvents IPA, Naphtha etc but nothing shifts them.

Anyone got any thoughts as to when the are there, my first though was a bodge to remove Barrel end float but they are not quite in the correct place for that.

Thanks for any input on this

Paul

Screenshot 2021-08-10 09-40-08.png

Typical when someone tries to compensate for wear in the barrel bushing. Not good but I've come across this and if the float is OK i wouldn't bother much about it. The good thing is the person who did this made three punches instead of just one big one. Making one big punch will crate a high spot which will wear fast, having three will result on a more gentle curve with the wear a bit spread. It will still have a 'taper' so ideally you should do both sides.

Anilv

• 1 year later...
On 8/10/2021 at 12:49 PM, Paul80 said:

Hi all

I have just stripped another Seiko 7009A movement and found something I have not seen on any of the other 7009A movements I have stripped

The Photo below is a closeup showing where the Main Spring barrel locates and as you can see some of the plating has been removed and three hard dots of something have been placed there on one side of the hole, I have tried the usual solvents IPA, Naphtha etc but nothing shifts them.

Anyone got any thoughts as to when the are there, my first though was a bodge to remove Barrel end float but they are not quite in the correct place for that.

Thanks for any input on this

Paul

Screenshot 2021-08-10 09-40-08.png

I agree with the consensus here that this is an attempt to close the barrel aboor hole, you can see that they have been partially successful such that the hole is no longer round, the right half looks round, but the left half is clearly straighter, hence the hole is not symmetrical. I would struggle to see how you could save this part without a LOT of work and luck. I think @Nucejoehas the right idea and you should invest in a new mainplate or probably just as cheap to order a complete donor movement and then you get the other spare parts for free!