More Watches to Play With

LadyFi

Second joblot arrived early this morning.  8 watches in total and some costume jewellery.  Some of the watches are new or fairly new but there are a couple of interest, namely a Mickey Mouse watch and a (very likely fake) Chanel watch.  I've searched the Internet and can't see a MM watch coming close to the style of this one.  It is mechanical and has a Japanese movement but I'm not taking the back off until the loupes I've ordered arrive sometime tomorrow.  The crown and stem seem completely jammed.  Can't even set the hands so something seriously wrong with it (another one that will have to wait a while).  What are your thoughts on this watch please?  Interestingly on the bracelet clasp, it's stamped with Hong Kong.

There is another interesting watch but it's written in French.  Card in the box too, handwritten in French which says "Garanti Ian Mecanisme Uniquement" and is dated 22.06.94.

DSC_0005.JPG

DSC_0007.JPG

DSC_0008.JPG

DSC_0009.JPG

34 minutes ago, watchweasol said:

Sounds very much like the keyless works has had water ingress so there is likly the rust problem, good luck with the rest. Like you sais best wait for the kit  to arrive then get stuck in.

Son, who has stronger fingers than me managed to set the hands.  Feels like the mainspring is fully wound.  The watch itself is quite heavy.  It weighs, including bracelet 53g.  It seems to have a Japanese movement but whether it's Lorus or Seiko I don't know and won't know until we get the back off.

I'm hoping some of our American friends might know more about it or point me in the right direction to find out more as Micky Mouse and Disney's home is America.

Another interesting watch in this joblot is an Animal Claws c1990s I think.  Doesn't say if it's quartz or mechanical but judging by its weight, could be mechanical.  If it is, as it's bigger than the others, might be a good one to start on except that it's got a date so a bit more tricky.  Again, won't know until I get the back off.  This one's a screw off back.

Although I'm a complete novice, I'm finding this a fascinating new hobby.

Edited by LadyFi

More on the Mickey Mouse watch.

It is a quartz movement made by Miyota.  Put in a new battery and Mickey is now happily pointing out the time with his little hands.

Age of watch is probably c.1990s.  Can only find one similar to it (case not bracelet) on the internet which is selling for £125.  Seems to have a retro 30's styling.  It seems that it may be a limited edition as it has 85/8032 9GB on the watch back but when I run a search, no watch comes up resembling my one.

My other news is I took a pretty much already wrecked Reflex watch to bits, made the fatal mistake of turning it over and parts fell out.  I have a vague idea where the rest of it goes but not so much the bits that fell out.  The winding stem wasn't engaging so couldn't turn the hands.  I did notice the pivot on the hour wheel is bent so maybe that has something to do with it.

The 6 million dollar question is, can I put it back together again?  Probably not but it's the first time I've really delved into the workings of a watch albeit a quartz movement.

1 hour ago, spectre6000 said:

I don't think any of us yanks are going to be appreciably more helpful with the Micky Mouse watch. They were made all over the place for all sorts of markets. Some licensed, some not. Usually pretty low end, and vary wildly. 

I have noticed several different types.  At least my one is working now.  Just need to work out how to clean the bracelet and see if I can find out more about it.  Either way, it's an interesting watch.  Seen plenty of Mickey Mouse watches before but never one quite like this.  It's keeping good time.

As for the other watch I dissected, all the parts are sitting in an old ice-cube tray.  Whether I can get it back together again is anyone's guess but I do know I need to get some proper tools for the job.  At least it's a start 😊