Watch Joblot Arrived Today

LadyFi

Not sure if this is the correct place to put this on but my first joblot of watches off eBay arrived today.  Most are quartz but one is a mechanical movement.  It is a Swiss made Teltime ladies watch.  When I try to wind it, the crown spins back (click broken?)  Haven't had the back off it yet but here's a pic of it.  The back of the watch has Swiss Made, Base Metal 9051.  I have no idea how old it is, maybe mid 60s?

Of the quartz watches, I've got two running again - a VERY fake Rolex and an unbranded watch.  Both seem to be keeping good time.  Replaced the battery in another one but it still doesn't want to work.  Even setting the hands is difficult so something seems to be jammed in it - definitely a strip down job there (it is a pretty watch).  My biggest bugbear with this lot is they absolutely STINK of stale perfume 🤢 but at £1.24 +P&P for the lot, I'm not complaining.  Have to start somewhere 😊

DSC_0005.JPG

DSC_0006.JPG

• Like 1

That is a really nice looking watch but I'm not sure if that would be the best candidate for a beginner. 

Ladies watches are difficult to service because of their size. Everything is like 30% smaller. Even the screws are smaller and they have a tendency to disappear. And winding the mainspring back into the barrel without a mainspring winder is next to impossible. 

I would suggest practicing on a pocket watch first and keep that for later when you become more proficient.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HectorLooi said:

That is a really nice looking watch but I'm not sure if that would be the best candidate for a beginner. 

Ladies watches are difficult to service because of their size. Everything is like 30% smaller. Even the screws are smaller and they have a tendency to disappear. And winding the mainspring back into the barrel without a mainspring winder is next to impossible. 

I would suggest practicing on a pocket watch first and keep that for later when you become more proficient.

Son's going to do the mechanical watches.  Believe it or not, I have a phobia about the workings of mechanical watches.  Maybe in time I'll get over it but it's lasted over 60 years.  I was about 2 years old and kept annoying my older brother who wanted to play with his train set.  Me being a typical annoying little sister, he got exasperated with me, grabbed a friction engine small lorry he had which had the friction engine in the cab, shoved it in my face yelling "The wheelies will bite!!!"  I got such a scare, I ran in hysterics to my mother and that fear has been with me since.  It triggers the "flight" response.  As for my brother, he got a good walloping from our Mum for that but the damage had been done.  I brought it up on the phone the other night.  At first he laughed then I think he finally realised that I wasn't joking.

I know, really silly.  I'm OK with quartz watches so the pretty watch, I won't have a problem stripping down.  I'd love to get that one working.

The Teltime watch will probably be put to one side for later.  Must see if I can find a dead pocket watch for son (or me if I can overcome this fear) to practice on.