Hello from Wiltshire

LadyFi

Hello everyone.  I'm hoping to learn watch repairing.  Put a new battery in my Lorus watch - and I managed to get the back on using a C clamp, some rubberised felt and a couple of 20p pieces.  Then I managed to shorten the bracelet so was feeling quite pleased with myself.  That sparked an interest in watch repairing as I retire officially next year so will have time (pardon the pun) on my hands.

Only snag is, I have a rather strange phobia thanks to my older brother when we were kids.  The workings of mechanical watches or clocks terrify me.  Silly, I know 🙄

5 hours ago, watchweasol said:

Hello and welcome to the forum.          I have attached by way of an introduction the anatomy of a watch and the tools required for repairing them.   Start simple and large , pocket watches and progress as the skills develop wish you luck in your endeavour.

TZIllustratedGlossary.pdf 4.2 MB · 0 downloads 1831920544_ToolsfortheHobbyist.pdf 371.51 kB · 0 downloads

Thank you very much Watchweasol for the valuable information and the welcome from everyone.  I'm sure I can source these tools here in the UK.  I bid on a job lot on eBay yesterday and won it.  Mixed bag of watches, some quartz, some mechanical and the statutory fake Rolex, my idea being I could practice cleaning up the cases.  There are two kiddies watches in there, one's a Timex the other el cheapo but I'm sure, if I can get them cleaned up and working my friend's 4 year old granddaughter will love them.  The whole lot cost me just over £5 including P&P so won't break the bank.

Wonderful stuff. You can source tools and parts from cousins uk watchparts. they are very quick and have an online catalogue.  If you are not sure about any thing just post the question and you are sure to get an answer. and by the way try to post as much information as possible.  Picture of the movement front and back and the calibre number, . either found under the balance or on the plates. remember plenty of information.   cheers

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, watchweasol said:

Wonderful stuff. You can source tools and parts from cousins uk watchparts. they are very quick and have an online catalogue.  If you are not sure about any thing just post the question and you are sure to get an answer. and by the way try to post as much information as possible.  Picture of the movement front and back and the calibre number, . either found under the balance or on the plates. remember plenty of information.   cheers

Thank you again for the info.  Meanwhile, I am now impatiently awaiting my first batch of watches to play with.  I do need to get some proper tools as I've been using improvised household tools such as an old potato knife which is very dull but good for removing the backs, masking tape and one of my salt grinders - managed to get the screw down back off my son's Sekonda with that and replace the battery and put it back on, my metal nail file - worked like a charm when I removed a link from the bracelet of my Lorus and a C clamp and a few other bits and pieces to get the back on my Lorus again.

Perhaps my biggest problem is finding somewhere to repair the watches.  My house is very small and no room even to put in a working table.  On top of that I have cats and one of them would be in her element chasing watch parts all over the house!  Still, where there's a will, there's a way 🙂

54 minutes ago, watchweasol said:

Hi There are table top benches withdrawers on them for those short on space. Have a google for table top watchmakers benches, If you have some one who is handy they don't take rocket science to make one

I've seen them.  Problem is, nowhere to put it.  We really have a small house with small rooms.  One third of my living room is taken up with my baby digital grand piano (my other hobby - doing Grade 7 in November) and the bedrooms are small too.  Probably just use our small kitchen table (yes,kitchen is very small to my annoyance as I love cooking) and place everything in a compartmentalised box when I'm not working on it.  I'm good at improvising so I'll find a way.

On 8/5/2021 at 12:33 PM, Michael1962 said:

Welcome to the forum. Enjoy. 🙂

As far as being scared of the insides of mechanical watches goes, patience and learning.

Been binge watching YouTube videos but haven't plucked up the courage to open a mechanical watch yet.

On the plus side, my brother got a good hiding from our Mum for that.  Funny how things that happen when we're very young can have an effect for the rest of our lives.  Despite our sibling rivalry, my brother and I are still close.

• 2 weeks later...

Mark (the owner of this forum) has courses on watch repair. I myself have not undertaken the courses as I currently can't justify it as the secondhand watch market in Australia is not that good.

People on here that have done the courses say it is very good.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Michael1962 said:

Mark (the owner of this forum) has courses on watch repair. I myself have not undertaken the courses as I currently can't justify it as the secondhand watch market in Australia is not that good.

People on here that have done the courses say it is very good.

I have seen that.  Unfortunately, the cost for me at the moment is prohibitive.  I'm just going to have to learn the hard way - do it myself and hope I can get the watch movement back together again.  I did bid and win a couple of cheap joblots on eBay.  Only one of the watches is mechanical and it's a ladies watch.  It's not as small as some so it might be the first experiment.  I haven't taken the back off yet as I need to get some tools but with watching loads of videos, I suspect the mainspring might be broken and as it's an older watch will probably need a good clean.  The rest are quartz movements.  So far I've got 3 going, an unusual Mickey Mouse ladies watch, a very fake Rolex and one with no brand or manufacturer on it at all.  The fourth I've had a go at was beyond redemption and is now in bits - bin fodder I think.