Quartz

When you say service, what level of service are you talking about? 

Do you mean changing batteries, bracelet/strap, watch hands, replacing crystals, modifying dials, swapping out a new movement?

Or more complicated stuff like disassembling, cleaning and oiling and repair/replace components?

2 hours ago, HectorLooi said:

When you say service, what level of service are you talking about? 

Do you mean changing batteries, bracelet/strap, watch hands, replacing crystals, modifying dials, swapping out a new movement?

Or more complicated stuff like disassembling, cleaning and oiling and repair/replace components?

The more complicated stuff like disassembling,cleaning and oiling and repair/replace components?

1 minute ago, Murks said:

The more complicated stuff like disassembling,cleaning and oiling and repair/replace 

After you disassembling it can you put all part in the cleaning machine is there a parts particular can't put Through the cleaning machine?

2 hours ago, Murks said:

After you disassembling it can you put all part in the cleaning machine is there a parts particular can't put Through the cleaning machine?

Yes. Never put the coils, pcb and the magnetic rotor into the cleaning solutions. And needles to say, the dial and the hands too.

I have never seen any courses on quartz watch repair and there are very few books covering the subject. I guess most of us who repair quartz watches have some background in electronics and it is just natural for us to progress from mechanical watches to quartz and electrical watches.

Not all quartz movements can be disassembled and cleaned. Cheap movements are normally riveted or utrasonically welded together and not designed to be repaired. These are normally cheap enough to be replaced.

Some mid-priced movements are in-cooperating plastic parts into the gear train. These can be cleaned and re-assembled with great care and dexterity. I wouldn't recommend these to beginners. All-metal gear train movements tend to be expensive and best avoided by beginners.

My advice will be to stick to mechanical watches first then progress to doing some ladies watch movements. The small sized parts of ladies watches will familiarize you with working with quartz parts. And until you can re-assemble a mechanical gear train in under 2 minutes, I wouldn't recommend disassembling any high-end quartz movements.

Good luck and practice lots.

• Like 2

Hi Sme soudn advice from Hector. The better quality quartz watches , ronda,miyota etc can be dismantled but are very fiddly and the cost of replacement units is reasonable so the repairis not always cost effective over replacement.  I have attached a couple od pdf's for your interest.           cheers

Witschi Training Course.pdf TZIllustratedGlossary.pdf

16 hours ago, Murks said:

Hi does anyone know what is the best movement for me to use learn how to service quartz watches for beginner ? 

Any of no value that you have at hand, and for which you don't care if won't work anymore or if you will have to replace the module complete for like €5.

The dexterity and safe techniques and that you will gain in doing that exercise is very important to learn how to not drop and lose parts.

For real world practice, you could get a vintage watch lot from Ebay. You may get some gems among the junk. Last year I got one lot. From that heap, I restored 1 Bulova Accuquartz, 3 Fossils, 1 Waltham. That more than paid for the watch lot. The only problem now is I have 50 hideous monstrosities to get rid off.

6 hours ago, HectorLooi said:

The only problem now is I have 50 hideous monstrosities to get rid off.

I've got a collection of cheap watches from a family member that passed. The acceptable ones I've all refreshed and gifted to postmen and courier drivers, which have appreciated them very much. Only few monsters and unrepairables ones are left, not sure what to do with them.