Longines Cal 12.68Z

Hi All

First watch job as a novice watchmaker, I bought this Longines Cal 12.68z 1969 at the flea market as a scrap, and its shows jerky movement on the second hand skipping like 5 seconds every minute. The hands don't look right and the dials ... I leave it as is. If not for the Longines logo.. I can't identified this watch without opening it.

post-660-0-35649100-1429842917_thumb.jpg

On disassembling found it was the escape wheel that was damage, it's an old watch so I guess it's in pretty bad shape to start with.

post-660-0-27138900-1429843382_thumb.jpg

Ordered from ebay, and it took along time to reach me.

post-660-0-41345100-1429843471_thumb.jpg

Replace the wheel and one thing leads to another, on installing the click spring, the tiny screw decided to take flight. Ok I was using cheap tweezer, that remind me to get a good sets of tools. In the mean time I just dressed it to ensure no more aeroplane job for those many more screws.

post-660-0-29830000-1429843634_thumb.jpg

No way I could find that screw, it's the smallest of the smallest in this watch. So back to ebay and ordered a box of screws as I found some discussions about it here.. so another 2 weeks of waiting and it finally arrived and lucky me.. there's one that fit.

post-660-0-80587500-1429843750_thumb.jpg

BTW I did not dismantle the center wheel, I feel I am not up to it yet. Looks like it pressed fit and I don't dare to touch it at my present skill level.

post-660-0-56325700-1429845027_thumb.jpg

post-660-0-84674200-1429844057_thumb.jpg

It was over oiled and very dirty, I do not have a cleaning machine (yet) so a simple dip cleaning and some tooth pick will do for now. Assembling apart from the aeroplane incident goes without anymore surprises, just that I need to horned my skill and getting better tools. The balance wheel and pallet is a challenging part to me and all else is okay.

post-660-0-49996800-1429844241_thumb.jpg

I use Chinese made oil as lubricant at the moment and lube all the jewels, not reaching Moebius or Novastar level yet... so it more like Mario Brothers at level one... had to earn points before I go up scale.

post-660-0-95041800-1429844456_thumb.jpg

So here it is, nothing special it's a basic movement as a start, and I have lots more watch to do as practice pieces.

post-660-0-89231100-1429844558_thumb.jpg

On the wrist, hey.. this watch is older than me... I'm 53 and this old timer is 56 years old.. :)

post-660-0-10142900-1429844646_thumb.jpg

One thing I learn from this first job is... I need higher quality Screwdrivers and Tweezer for a start... time to get the credit card out.. I can't find high quality tool here in Kuala Lumpur.. most shop do the Chinese brand.. will try to get either A*F or Horotec sets.. a basic set will do for now. Suprisingly after 24 hrs.. running no further adjustment needed.. it's keeping good time.

There you go... Mario Bros at level ONE..

BTW.. anyone know what model is this watch.

Edited by Affnan
  • Like 3

Hi Affnan,

Great job! I'd say Mario at a high level, probably 6 out of 12? It's been a while I played that. :)

Although I can't say much about Longines and models, I can tell you one thing: That is an excellent watch you will definitely feel very proud to wear and a high quality one!

As far as the center wheel, it is "held in place" by the cannon pinion that needs to be extracted with the proper tool or the thick part of your tweezers (pulling straight up) on the "other" side of the plate (bottom or dial side). Once that pinion is out, the center wheel just pulls out like nothing, careful with the "center" jewel, it can be easily cracked. I normally take the cannon pinion first before disassembling the wheel train and after securing the hairspring in a safe location where it can't be damaged. Of course to get to the cannon pinion, dial and all the other stuff on that side may have to be removed first (or at least what is in the way depending on the movement). So, there you have it, time for Center wheel level 2!

Cheers,

Bob

• Like 1

Hi Affnan,

great start and great watch.

I usually spend my time between Kuala Lumpur and Port Dickson. Which part of KL are you at?

There is a watch supplier around Jalan Sultan, in the old Furama Hotel, called Tai Sang. Not much watch parts but good tools available. Bergeon screwdrivers, tweezers etc.

Call me and maybe we can meet up one day..

Anil

• Like 1

Affnan, that is a great start for a novice, also the longines is a very nice watch. It,s pity about the damage to the face because that is now a good watch most would like to wear. Quality tools as you have found is important but also with more experience you will have less mishaps & flyers.

​Enjoyed your post, can,t wait for your next one

• Like 1

Thanks guys for the encouraging replys..  :woohoo-jumping-smiley-emoticon:

Anil I am in Subang Airport area, am thinking to drop by Tai Sang tomorrow for a look see.. at the same time may be able to pick up some cheap replicas at Petaling Street next door as practice watch.

Affnan, I can only echo all the others have said.

You bought a watch with a major problem, diagnosed the problem, sourced the part, then repaired and serviced it. Not only that, you took the time to take excellent photographs and document your progress. For your first job as an amateur commend you, as this can only encourage others. I look forward to reading more posts from you in the future. :)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Affnan you did a great job with that Longines! Hogh quality movement for sure.  Don't worry about not taking the cannon pinion or the center wheel off. I used to leave them on too when I started. One thing you already know is that good tools are essential and once you have those you'll be moving up in no time! By the way, the cannon pinion can be removed with tweezers like Bob mentioned or you can get a cannon pinion remover on the 'bay like I did....10 dollars.post-328-0-67735600-1431234268_thumb.jpg

But be warned, once you start on this hobby you'll want more tools, and then better tools, and then more watches to fix!

J

Hi J

Yes for sure, the tools are building up. But will only purchase as needed, afraid of having more than I can handle.

There are never ending supply of watches to get fix, once my friends knows about my new hobby. All the dead watches from the closets are coming out, looks like I sure have tons of practice.

I do make a point to them that I am still at the Apprentice level :)

The very moment now I am assembling a Raymond Weil with ETA 955.412 movement with broken stem and smeared dail due to leaky battery.

497837df1d9cdc4a12f060858074d27f.jpg

Edited by Affnan
  • Like 1