Looking for history of Hampden watch company post bankruptcy (1927) in the 1940s and 50s.

I just serviced this vintage (I think it's from the 1950s) 14k gold Hampden wrist watch. I was looking into their history and everything I found about them said that they went out of business around 1927 and sold everything to Russia. I know that there are other Hampden wristwatches from the 1940s and 50s (swiss made) but I can't find any further history. Was this brand trying to be revived? Movement is signed Hampden too, it's an AS 970.

PXL_20210723_152907232.jpg

PXL_20210723_152954639.jpg

PXL_20210720_194402609.jpg

The Hampden Watch Company was originally known as the Mozart Watch Company. In 1866, Donald J. Mozart founded the company in Providence, Rhode Island.

On 7/23/2021 at 5:59 PM, Max50916 said:

I was looking into their history and everything I found about them said that they went out of business around 1927 and sold everything to Russia.

It doesn't cover your Swiss made watch or the Russian deal, but the early Hampden history is told in a book that you can download form the the internet.

The watch factories of America, past and present (1888).pdf

• Thanks 1

one of the things interesting with your watch is the letters found on the balance bridge? That's the US import code watches imported to the US were supposed to have a code of who imported them. so I have a link down there it tells us that XYV Hampden.

then for the second link for the as970 1935-1967, <16.000.000(all variants) that does narrow down a timeframe.

https://www.timeplex.com/pages/import-codes

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&0&2uswk&AS_970

On 7/24/2021 at 8:32 AM, jdm said:

The watch factories of America, past and present (1888).pdf

https://archive.org/details/watchfactoriesof00abbo

• Thanks 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By thecodedawg
      I just wanted to share this amazing watch.  The damaskeening is special, and it has only lost 10ish seconds over the past 8 days while in my pocket.  

• By MechanicMike
      Hi all
      I'm trying to repair this one for an old Viet Nam marine buddy, who said it hasn't run since the day his grampa gave it to him just before he deployed. What I found was that the upper pivot of the balance staff was gone along with the balance cock upper hole jewel was cracked  and chipped. I was able to secure a NOS balance, staff and hairspring assembled, and lucky enough that all the jewels and fits were good. I added a new white alloy mainspring for the heck of it, cleaned and lubed everything. Assembled it and put some power to the mainspring to check it all over to find what I thought was excessive endplay. I took the balance back down and under the microscope to find it looks like the staff upper pivot(or the staff OAL) isn't long enough to fit, or reach into the upper jewel when assembled. Is that possible? is the hairspring collet not staked to the shoulder? (I haven't gotten that far). 
      1) should I mic the staff overall length and try and find a longer one?
      2) I see there are stake marks between the balance cock and base plate seemingly to raise it up or for binding issues. should I blend those down flush?
      3) should I attempt to find a different balance/bridge/hairspring assy. and replace the whole thing?
      it wants to run that's for sure and does intermittently, which, after all the work, is encouraging to me. I'm soooo close. Can I fix this?
      much obliged-
      Mike

• By MechanicMike
      Hi all-is there a name for the crescent shape of this fork and its purpose? Vague memory of seeing one like this but can't find where I had seen it.
      Thank ya
      MM

• By bangy55
      I've been a member over a year now and have only made one post. I thought it might be worthwhile to share a text string between my 31 year old daughter Christen who is newly interested in watches, and myself to enlighten newcomers on the evolution of watches. She texted me from work at the County Clerk's office this morning and the following discussion ensued:
      Christen: Hey Dad, check this out:
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watchmaker_analogy
      I wanna talk about that when we get the chance
      Dad:  Okay
      Christen: listening to David Hume's philosophy
      Dad:  Slow day?
      Christen: Just transferring images into cases. Pretty boring. But I can pay closer attention to the podcast.
      I looked up the watchmaker argument because the Podcaster mentioned that the argument was used during David Hume's time
      Dad:  Ah..
      Christen: I've known about it, but it's the first time I've really dug further than the statement by itself
      Evolution supposedly gave the argument less sway and I don't understand how
      Dad: That's simple. Evolution proved and explained that all living creatures were created by a multitude of incredible accidents accumulating over millions of years. Therefore, the same is true for watches. In ancient times, when the first rudimentary watches crawled out of the sea, they were quite simple. Consisting of nothing more than a circular base with a single vertical staff that cast a shadow on the circular base. While technically "watches," they were blind in the beginning. Having no numbers by which other, still non-existing creatures, could tell the time. As naturally occurring accidents accumulated, numbers began to appear. These numbers too were rudimentary at first and only existed in the form of Roman numerals. While useful to early man, he had yet to invent Roman numerals and therefore, could barely tell time in the beginning. This caused untold confusion, with cavemen and the like suffering frustration due to missed appointments with business associates and grouchy children due to irregular bedtimes.
      Through a process of natural selection, Roman numerals were finally nudged out by the more accurate and therefore more fit and able to survive, balance spring watch. These watches, by virtue of their ability to work even in the dark, eventually made the "solar" style watch practically extinct. It being relegated to English gardens and museum entrances. A mere vestige of its ancient beginnings.
      By the 1970s, a new rock had evolved that became known as "quartz" and it had, through amazing coincidence, affixed itself to the already existing metal watch case. Over time, the quartz "rock" assumed a certain shape allowing it to replace the balance spring as a source of constant vibration. However, without complex wires and coils, and what later became known as a "battery," it remained useless. In time, thanks to the wonder of Evolution, these difficulties were all overcome by inevitable accidents. The sudden appearance of actual working quartz watches nearly wiped out the clumsy and inaccurate by comparison mechanical spring watches from the face of the earth.
      Christen: This is fabulous. Watches and their beginnings should be on the discovery Channel. Very educational
      Fantastic, father!
      Dad: someday.
      Christen: Keep your watch evolution explanation handy. It'll be great to look back on lol
      Dad: Alas, there was found in "man," a rather useless and unnecessary trait known as sentimentality. This trait has no known ability to promote the evolution of the species. In fact, it could be argued that it has slowed its advancement. Nevertheless, it has for the time stalled the inevitable decline and certain demise of the mechanical watch. Weak and inferior men and women the world over are struggling to keep the horribly inaccurate spring watch relevant, even spending hundreds of thousands of dollars for a watch that is less accurate than a $10 quartz watch easily found huddled together at a local Walmart store.
      No sooner did nature introduce the incredibly accurate quartz watch than the even more precise and complicated "Cell-phone" appear. This marvel of evolution displays the time plus many other amazing complications by virtue of a vast network of connectivity worldwide through the air. It has been argued that it could be thought of as a single organism rather than many millions of evolved individual organisms.
      It is yet to be seen if the quartz watch, which has only recently appeared on the long fascinating road that is accidental evolution, will hold the same sentimental value as the mechanical watch. It has been conjectured that due to environmental pressures brought on by the cellphone, that a third species may evolve from the mechanical and quartz watches. In fact, there has been discovered recently, a new species that has been categorized by scientists by the Latin name, Seiko Quartz Spring Drive. This amazing newcomer, while having the inferior balance spring anatomy, has clearly evolved from the quartz species and has internal and external features of both.
      The End.
      Your tax dollars at work, Folks.

• By dalarry
      hi everyone,
      todd here, been away for some time due to recovery from a bad injury.

i am a reasonably skilled hobbyist, not a watchmaker.
      currently i am working on a Hampden model 307 that is in near mint condition but won't wind.
      i have the movement disassembled and everything looks good.
      when i test the motion of the clutch assembly, and clutch lever with a bench key with the top plate off everything works properly.
      however, when i reassemble the watch the clutch lever will not move the clutch into the winding position.
      i am at a loss here.
      something is obviously binding but i can't find it.
      any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
      i am attaching a pic of the clutch from my microscope that shows it is in good condition.
      thanks everyone 
      todd