Hi I’m new here but love watches, recently found my grandads rally watch, very similar to the first pictured it runs great but Crystal is cracked and scratched so would like to replace it and get wearing it. I currently have it with a watch maker friend who said he is having trouble finding a new Crystal plus the old one appears to be glued down? Believe the serial number is 27675 10578, can anyone give me a part number for Crystal and instructions on how to remove? 

Many thanks in advance! 

A 1978 Timex Marlin with a M105 hand wing movement.  Crystal number 106-327900 that was fitted to many models and very rare to find these days.  "Rally watch"?  does it have the checkered race flag on it?

Hi Jersey, yes it does have the checkered flag on it. lovely little watch and keeps excellent time seeing it’s been sat in the attic for 25 years! 

I will keep an eye out for a lens, are they glued in? 

Here’s a picture, there is a crack which I might just have to live with if I can find a new glass, my friend usually has most glass I need, but not this time. 

A10A9AE0-E3F9-4AA3-BC21-7E2069CC0F86.jpeg

the crystal was not glued at the factory and it would just lift off with a crystal wrench or lift.  First you must remove the bezel ring and I'm sure you will find debris in the underside.  

I'll look for the catalog pic of the watch so you can match a new strap.

I don't have the 1978 catalog so not sure about what strap it would have originally come with.  But I would suggest a vintage rally type with the three round holes. 

Here is a pic of what I believe is the same sized case bezel so suggest to order what would be a high doom type. Or just keep it as is and just be careful near water.

218907854_201021851962163_6490224471017747026_n.jpg

Hi thanks for the picture and info, when you say a high dome type is there a part number for that would ensure I got one that fitted? 

no number, you will have to measure the case and the old crystal for dimensions.

good thing is this is a round one so will be much easier to fine a match.

23 hours ago, JerseyMo said:

no number, you will have to measure the case and the old crystal for dimensions.

good thing is this is a round one so will be much easier to fine a match.

Is it an acceptable practice to replace a Timex crystal with a generic one? I thought I had violated my Telephone Dial Timex when I did that. 🤣

On 7/23/2021 at 9:55 PM, HectorLooi said:

Is it an acceptable practice to replace a Timex crystal with a generic one? I thought I had violated my Telephone Dial Timex when I did that. 🤣

No issue with using a generic crystal if it is the only option.

• Thanks 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.