Seiko pogue restoration šŸ˜

After practicing a bit, Iā€™ve decided I wanted to restore my first good watch. I will be restoring this pogue with the help of a watchmaker my mom knows and of course your help. I want to make this into the gold pogue version,

Iā€™m still looking for

- dial, bezel and hand replacements

- oils for the movements since I donā€™t know a lot of that compartimentĀ 

Iā€™m looking for sellers of these productsĀ preferably located in Europe since I have to pay extra taxes since June here in Belgium non Europe purchases.Ā 

30D64B6A-03B6-4F37-8277-4F6D7DF043DF.jpeg

19ADA37A-8108-40C4-BB08-E8642FFFF400.jpeg

3D577E9B-6417-4805-9C38-B0AEF34C57A2.jpeg

4A90F751-F453-46B0-B635-B10BFD813C0E.jpeg

2 hours ago, Corstjens1 said:

help of a watchmaker

Ā 

oils for the movements since I donā€™t know a lot of that compartiment

if you already know watchmaker then your lubrication problem is solved just see if they'll give you some. Seiko usually has specific recommendations we've discuss this somewhere in the group before they're usually converted to something more common paid by the Swiss.

I want to make this into the gold pogue version

one of the things that would help for this is as you're attempting to entirely change the look of the watch is defined the case number for the watches like to convert it into. Plus if you had a really good picture you could maybe get the dial number all things helpful when you're looking for casing parts.

1 hour ago, JohnR725 said:

Ā 

if you already know watchmaker then your lubrication problem is solved just see if they'll give you some. Seiko usually has specific recommendations we've discuss this somewhere in the group before they're usually converted to something more common paid by the Swiss.

one of the things that would help for this is as you're attempting to entirely change the look of the watch is defined the case number for the watches like to convert it into. Plus if you had a really good picture you could maybe get the dial number all things helpful when you're looking for casing parts.

Caseback number is 1D8875, but really looking for sellers in Europe of the dials, could only find good looking dials in America, or other countries except countries in EuropeĀ 

18 minutes ago, Corstjens1 said:

oils for the movements since I donā€™t know a lot of that compartimentĀ 

If you patiently read or search our pinned topic below, you will find many answers toĀ "what are Seiko oils equivalents".

18 minutes ago, Corstjens1 said:

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Caseback number is 1D8875, but really looking for sellers in Europe of the dials, could only find good looking dials in America, or other countries except countries in EuropeĀ 

That is common. Aftermarket dials are made in China, you cannot expect to have sellers anywhere in the world. See if you can agree with an abroad sellerĀ Ā on a way to minimize your costs inĀ light of the new EU regulations:

Ā 

Ā 

56 minutes ago, jdm said:

If you patiently read or search our pinned topic below, you will find many answers toĀ "what are Seiko oils equivalents".

That is common. Aftermarket dials are made in China, you cannot expect to have sellers anywhere in the world. See if you can agree with an abroad sellerĀ Ā on a way to minimize your costs inĀ light of the new EU regulations:

Ā 

Ā 

Thanks man this helps a lot! Trying to figure out a deal with a guy for a pogue and bullhead dial since i want to fix one later oneĀ 

6 hours ago, Corstjens1 said:

1D8875,

looks like I need to improve my observation skills as you had the picture of the back. The number I was looking for was this number first four digits correspond to the movement and the second for basically together it makes the number for looking for case parts. the other number that you have is the serial number it's not going to do us much good at all.

observation skills lacking.JPG

13 minutes ago, JohnR725 said:

the other number that you have is the serial number it's not going to do us much good at all.

These numbers talk to Seiko enthusiasts which love to know when their watch was made, in this case December 1971. They also often search for one made on the sameĀ year and month of birth.

Aftermarket dial will reduce the value of your watch.

Is datasheet not available for 6139?Ā 

Though somewhat simple its afterall a chronocomplication, not an easyĀ overhaul if you are not skilled enough.

Take lots of pictures as you disassemble, a good reminder what parts goes where.

Good luck.

Ā 

9 minutes ago, Nucejoe said:

Probably the do, but they are the only ones available sinceĀ 40Ā years or more.

Though somewhat simple its afterall a chronocomplication, not an easyĀ overhaul if you are not skilled enough.

Totally agree, a very risky proposition for a beginner.

14 minutes ago, Nucejoe said:

if you look carefully it's more than just the dial. Basically he's keeping the case and the movements and I think everything else gets changed. That's why needs a new dial hands and the outer bezel ring so everything is color-coordinated. Which yes is going to reduce the value or make it weird because it's no longer going to agree with the numbers on the case back.

16 minutes ago, Nucejoe said:

yes the data sheet for the movement is available. Then yes it's a chronograph which makes things more interesting but this is a Seiko chronograph. Which means if you were used to the normal chronographs you may still find this one challenging. Plus the clutch wheel for the chronograph hopefully it's functioning because finding a replacement could be a bit of a challenge as they don't last forever.

21 hours ago, JohnR725 said:

Which yes is going to reduce the value or make it weird because it's no longer going to agree with the numbers on the case back.

Actually no weirdness would result. One of the two the two Seiko "Pogue" is a 6139-6002 just like the OP's, and it was manufactured during a periodĀ covering the date stamped on the OP's. Of course, collectors are normally able to identify aftermarket dials, hands and bezel inserts.Ā 

https://wornandwound.com/gallery-seiko-6139-6002-pogue/

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Nucejoe said:

Take lots of pictures as you disassemble, a good reminder what parts goes where.

Good luck.

Ā 

definetly will do that, but the dial is so far gone that I can't restore it after all, and it probably is already aftermarket since the pogue in 1971 should say water resistant on the dialĀ 

On 7/20/2021 at 1:56 PM, jdm said:

Ā 

Ā 

i'm located in Belgium, and don't see how I could reduce the costs of this, the english in this matter is also a bit to far for my knowledge.Ā 

1 hour ago, Corstjens1 said:

Ā it probably is already aftermarket since the pogue in 1971 should say water resistant on the dialĀ 

Some aftermarket ones sayĀ Ā Water70m resistĀ . Have seen some real nice used genuine dials on ebay

Ā 

12 hours ago, Plato said:

Is the original dial that bad? From the photos it looks good enough for an original restoration to me... although I do like a worn look to an old watch.Ā 

Donā€™t know really but Iā€™m really settled on the gold pogue so maybe Iā€™ll look for a used one. But I really prefer the gold dial variant.Ā 

19 minutes ago, Corstjens1 said:

Donā€™t know really but Iā€™m really settled on the gold pogue so maybe Iā€™ll look for a used one. But I really prefer the gold dial variant.Ā 

The thing is the dial should say water 70m resistant for that time periode. So I want it to look as good as possible.Ā 

In the coming month i'm going to take the watch apart, and find what pieces are missing or broken. I found a good dial that isn't aftermarket but i'm still looking for a good inner rotating bezel, does anybody know where I can find this ? A good place/shop for gaskets and springs would also be appreciated.Ā 

Need the help of some experts, have bought this pogue and got a opportunity for an other gold pogue all original. I'm however focused on fixing this one first. I can't do otherwise than fix this one up with aftermarket parts after seeing the shape it's in. I'm wondering however which dial variant is valued higher ? The gold 70m resist or the silver 70m resist. I will be clear when I sell it that it's aftermarket and that i'm not in it to just make a profit of the buyer or watch.Ā