Hello from the Hebrides

MarkV

Hello,

I live and work a croft on the Isle of Lewis, West Coast of Scotland.  I've been watching YouTube videos on watch repair/service for quite some time and after getting to know the Nekkid-Watchmaker, I decided to take the plunge and try things out for myself.  I'm used to handling very small components as an electronics engineer, soldering tiny SMD parts to PCB's.  I also do a wee bit of Chain Maille which can feature small metal rings springing off in all directions so I have learned to keep my workspace clean and have a powerful torch at the ready at all times!

I've acquired a few tools and already used some of them to replace watch straps and batteries in my own collection.  Whilst not Bergeon quality (except the Rodico) they should probably suffice until such time as I choose to progress further.

I acquired a small job lot of Ingersoll pocket watches from a well known auction site to learn from and started taking a look at one of them today.  I encountered a problem almost straight way and said to myself "Self, you need to join a forum" which is how I landed up amongst you good folk.

I'm looking forward to the concentration, attention to detail and a pleasing end result for these watches, probably after I have learned from many mistakes.

Anyhow, I'm most pleased to have found this site and look forward to many hours/days/years of working on watches as well as taking care of sheep, pigs, chickens, turkeys and whatever else comes along on the croft.

Cheers,

Mark

2 hours ago, oldhippy said:

Thank you for your introduction and welcome to this friendly forum.

You should watch Mark's videos. You will learn a lot, or better still enroll on his courses.  

Ah, Mark Lovick.  I've watched pretty much all of his videos and it was from there I found other YT'ers.  It all started with the strapline "Build your own watch with parts from eBay"!  Pretty much the same when I saw a book "Build your own sports car", been welding for over 12 years and still not built that sports car.

Very grateful to everyone for the warm welcome and the documents, has clarified a great number of things for me about movements and tools!