1960's Omega Seamaster - My Little Baby

Mark

I absolutely love clean, clear and simple watches. Don't get me wrong, I do like a quirky watch as well.

But this Omega is special to me as I purchased it from a customer just a few weeks into my apprenticeship.

I did not know a heck of a lot about watches back then, being a 16 year old. But I knew Omega was a good brand because my boss had one and would not stop raving about them.

A guy came in and offered this for sale and my boss was not around, so I offered him £20 for it (the glass was cracked and it was very scratched, the dial was badly stained and it had a scrappy leather strap and I was only earning £16.50/week) which was duly accepted - I was chuffed to bits. My boss later told me off big time as I was not supposed to do deals with customers (I think he was jealous as I know he would have bought it in a heartbeat).

So I have had this for many years and would never part with it.

post-1-0-31858700-1393157796_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-64950300-1393157808_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

For me the period between the late 1940's and early 1980's is the golden age for Omega. The prices for such a quality watch were not exorbitant and the fit and finish the equal of much higher priced Swiss brands at the time.

This one just screams classic Omega, it could not be anything but an Omega and those movements were just of such high quality.

I would love one day to have one of their high accuracy quartz watches from the 1970's. I used to own a 63 seamster and a 49 bumper, just lovely lovely watches.

Yours really is a beauty Mark.

Thanks guys. I just recently sold my Omega GMT to help pay for my garage conversion. I was gutted to see it go.

I really want a Chronostop with the green dial when I can afford it - a beauty, but quite rare. And a Schumacher is also on my wish list.

This is my electronic tuning fork Omega f300

It needs a bit of work doing to it when I get around to it.

post-1-0-96737900-1393175348_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks guys. I just recently sold my Omega GMT to help pay for my garage conversion. I was gutted to see it go.

I really want a Chronostop with the green dial when I can afford it - a beauty, but quite rare. And a Schumacher is also on my wish list.

This is my electronic tuning fork Omega f300

It needs a bit of work doing to it when I get around to it.

attachicon.gifIMG_1540.JPG

Is the dial OK on yours? I had one and the paint was uneven, sort of slightly blistered, when viewed through a loupe.

Is the dial OK on yours? I had one and the paint was uneven, sort of slightly blistered, when viewed through a loupe.

The paintwork is a bit rough. Not sure I want to have it restored though - part of the character now  :thumbsu:

Welcome to the forum by the way :)

The paintwork is a bit rough. Not sure I want to have it restored though - part of the character now  :thumbsu:

Welcome to the forum by the way :)

Thanks for the welcome. I subscribed to your YouTube channel last night (Ian Hand). I've just watched your ETA 2824 service video, fantastic!

That Omega is nice !!

How did you clean the dial ? When I see a dirty dial (in my long experience of... 3 watches), I'm very hesitant to use anything but warm water with a bit of soap...

If you are referring to the first Omega then I had it professionally restored by David Bill. I would never attempt a dial restoration myself ;)

Here she is with the new calendar day ring in, replaced the date ring also so the colour would match as good as possible.

I think she looks great!

Now just to refinish the case and bracelet and fit a new glass and seals and she will be a wearable watch again.

post-1-0-10506500-1395244748_thumb.jpg

well, Mark you're right... this is an art to make a restoration on dial...so, If you look my avatar, you'll see that it's missing a part.. a roman number ( what ever how you name it ) so I need the insert ( I don't know the real name for it )

That's no problem - they are called 'chapters' or 'batons'. These ones have two pins which help secure it to the dial. They are very common - just buy an old seiko dial off ebay and you can poke a baton out through the under-side of the dial and secure it to your dial with a tiny bit of Hypo Tube Cement.

That looks good, Mark - enjoy!

Cheers Will :)