New Video. Setting A Watch In Beat.

Splitting hairs, I have a remark on this excellent new video.

My attempts at setting beat with the stud movement puts the watch out of time. So I readjust the curb pin setting using the timing regulator and this invariably results in a new, but smaller, beat error. After some iterations I can usually arrive at a watch in beat to within a few tenths of a ms and timing good to second/day. But it always needs three or more iterations. Is this normal?

I think I'm right in saying that if the hair spring coils are properly concentric and the terminal curve (the bit that goes through the arc made by the regulator curb pins) is circular rather than spiral, the moving the regulator shouldn't introduce any beat error.

If the regulator curb pins impinge on the spiral part of the hair spring, or if the terminal arc of the spring is not circular, then as you move the regulator the curb pins will interfere with the concentricity of the hair spring which possibly could introduce or exacurbate beat errors.

• Like 1

Yes, Marc that makes very good sense. I suppose that as there is no such thing as a 'perfectly' concentric curve many watches, particularly old ones, will suffer from this defect. My recent experience was with a fine Gruen 510CA and although the terminal curve looks quite good it must have lacked concentricity.

This effect could be used by the perfectionist as a check on concentricity!

Excelente Mark. Always get so much out of your videos...I have learned how to adjust the impulse so thatr it is between the banking pins using you technique--it does work. My favorite quote? "...as whenever you are working in close proximity to the hairspring, the potential for disaster is MUCH greater!" Oh yeah--I've definitely lived up to that potential! Great work Mark.

JC

Mark, Thank you for the excellent video. Question: Is your goal to always get the pallet lines together on the timegrapher? I have set many watches in perfect visual beat but don't always get the single line on the timegrapher. Is it not possible to achieve this on all watches? Thanks in advance.

Randall

• 11 months later...

great video mark! Definately interested in using the timegrapher to help troubleshoot watches more. i work on a lot of vintage watches. Question for you: when a watch is in perfect visual beat (impulse jewel perfectly lined up between banking pins) but still getting a high ms error, can this be caused by improper depthing of the pallet jewels? I know improper banking pin placement can def affect this but if they are fine does that mean it has to be the pallet jewel depthing at that point or can it be caused by something else as well?

• Similar Content