New Video. Setting A Watch In Beat.

Excellent stuff there, Mark!

I did a no. 3 trim to the beard recently and brought it right down to whiskers - so you're now ahead of me in the beard length. Still, it's spring, and I expect a full growth from both of us in a few days more...

Just clipped it all away. I am a strange fellow - if I close shave I end up itching all day, if I let it grow too long I end up itching. I usually clip with no attachment.

Will - you must feel bald at the moment!

Great vid!

Not to be ungreatfull, don't get me wrong, I understand the long hours spent behind making these videos, but I am waiting for more advanced stuff! More like those two hairspring works you've done :)

For example: adjusting in different positions, centering the hairspring between the regulator pins,  static and dynamic poising, pivots streightening and polishing, pallet stones repair and adjustement  :)

Again, thank you very much for your work spent doing these videos!

Bogdan

Great vid!

Not to be ungreatfull, don't get me wrong, I understand the long hours spent behind making these videos, but I am waiting for more advanced stuff! More like those two hairspring works you've done :)

For example: adjusting in different positions, centering the hairspring between the regulator pins,  static and dynamic poising, pivots streightening and polishing, pallet stones repair and adjustement   :)

Again, thank you very much for your work spent doing these videos!

Bogdan

:) I understand - I have had a huge amount of requests for regulating and timing machine content.

So it is good to create a mixture of basic and advanced content but at the moment I am doing a series on the basics and will work up from there because it is laying foundations for some of the examples you would like to see.

I really appreciate the feedback Bogdan :)

• Like 2

"Normal haircut"... :D

Twice a year for me - and sometimes three if the weather's exceptionally warm.

Mine is a race between going bald or silver, the baldness has been accelerated after tackling hairsprings & crawling around the floor looking for lost parts.

Good video as usual, and nice animations. :)

What I miss though is an explanation of why it's good to be in beat. It's not obvious to me why being out of beat would necessarily be a bad thing. The balance wheel still oscillates with the same frequency.

I have read that being out of beat affects the rate in different positions and that makes some sense. But I've also heard that it will make it harder for the balance wheel to start up and that it decreases the amplitude by wasting power… 

Splitting hairs, I have a remark on this excellent new video.

My attempts at setting beat with the stud movement puts the watch out of time. So I readjust the curb pin setting using the timing regulator and this invariably results in a new, but smaller, beat error. After some iterations I can usually arrive at a watch in beat to within a few tenths of a ms and timing good to second/day. But it always needs three or more iterations. Is this normal?

As I understand it a low beat error is important when the watch mainspring winds down, but in a auto watch it is not such a issue.

I could be wrong but also if out of beat in certain positions the out of beat would become an issue.

I don,t understand how by altering the curb pins I can change the beat or am I missing something.

Two potential problems if a watch is not in beat: Beat error can possibly cause positional error in vertical positions. The watch may require agitation for it to start because the impulse jewel is not in the correct position. A watch wildly out of beat may be difficult to start or may stop intermittently. You may have amplitude problems.

But yes, you are correct. The overall time it takes for an oscillation should remain constant.

A goal would be to keep beat error to under .5 milliseconds.

• Similar Content