Greetings Watch Repair Talk Community

I'm brand new to this forum and very much a novice but have had a real interest in automatic watches for about fifteen years. I have a few and found out recently that my father in law has a vintage Hamilton that I am cleaning up for him. New lizard strap is on the way and I am trying to polish the (plastic) crystal. I'm also trying to get the movement out of the case but that's where my problem is. I'll wait for a reply and then I'll explain. Thanks to anyone who replies!

Screen Shot 2021-07-06 at 7.35.26 PM.png

Thank you all for the replies! The term 'front loader' seems to accurately describe what I am encountering. I was able to pop off the crystal by hand, thinking it was not that securely in place, so reveal the face and hands. The case is solid and the stem runs through a hole, not a slot, so I am unable to remove the movement without first removing the stem, but I cannot access the back of the movement to release the stem (as I have seen in some videos). So . . I'm stuck, but thinking there is a way to pull the stem so I can remove the movement.

Thank you Michael. Any experience removing the stem from a front loader? Seems to be the only way to free the movement, which I would like to do in order to better understand why it won't wind any further by hand (feels like the tension is maxed out but does not run long after being taken off). I probably did not explain that well, but appreciate any thoughts!

4 hours ago, atheb64 said:

Any experience removing the stem from a front loader?

This is frequently asked, and should be found by searching, e.g. on google

site:watchrepairtalk.com front load stem

Anyway, either the two piece stem can be freed by slowly turning the crown while gently lifting out the mov.t so the join is aligned, or pulling the crown out with a bit of force.

• Like 1

On 7/6/2021 at 4:36 PM, atheb64 said:

vintage Hamilton

I don't suppose there's any writing on the back of a case?

1 hour ago, jdm said:

Anyway, either the two piece stem can be freed by slowly turning the crown while gently lifting out the mov.t so the join is aligned, or pulling the crown out with a bit of force.

notice you actually have two answers up above? That's because there's actually two types of split stems. it's extremely important to know the difference of the two to avoid unpleasant problems.

the more common time which requires just a bit of force is explained at the link above. You can recognize those stems as they have a much deeper cut to allow them to spring apart and survive being pulled out.

then there's the other type that you definitely do not want to yank the stem with crown out as you will damage them permanently and getting replacement components can be extremely time-consuming. Hamilton isn't the only one that had stems like this style. do a search we've discussed this before on the group someplace.

Hamilton cld case movement removal.JPG

Hamilton split stem.JPG

And just like that, the movement came free! Thanks to all for the info. Yes, two-piece stem. It released when I (accidentally) lined it up and came forward in my hand with no pressure. I'd imagine the fit between the two stem pieces is a little loose but I'll likely not try to adjust, thinking that it'll hold together when in place. Watch is running slow, perhaps one minute + per day, and the tension on the wind is maxed. Was thinking it would lessen as the watch runs / runs out, but it's not seeming to. Maybe I don't press my luck?

Screen Shot 2021-07-09 at 2.35.53 PM.png