What would Watchrepairtalk do with this Timex?

Bearman

I've been scratching a Timex itch. A bit of a soft spot for them, my first watch was a Timex, not this one I might add. Its a M33 from 1975, in all it's bronze/brown glory.

Sadly I'm not the first to tinker with it, someones had the assembly out of it that advances the date.

What would watch repair talk do? (Other than smash it with a hammer)

Should I hold out for another donor in the hope of getting a working part? Or get it running telling the time (less day and date working), and polish it up? Wear it proudly and appreciate all that 70's charm!

Timex_m33.jpg

I just worked on something like this last night. It was the telephone dial version. This day/date plate goes over the movement and is held by 2 screws. Are the 2 springs still present on the other side of the day/date plate? Do you have the day ring and date wheel?

Sorry I don't have any photos of assembling this stage.

20200618_090806.thumb.jpg.0f793cf263ca06726765567844718ef1.jpg

• Like 1

Hello HectorLooi, I'm loving that dial of yours. I've not seen one like that before. Almost got caught out with those two screws, thought I'd lost one to begin with then realised as you say goes through the plate and holds the rest together.

I've attached a picture of the other side of the plate, it appears I only have one spring though on it still the other has vanished to history. The day/date wheels are in good condition.

Last night I managed to get it running, which I'm pleased about. One of the dirtiest movements I've ever cleaned along with the most scratched crystal, which I managed to recover yesterday. Looking lovely and clear now.  

Timex_day_date_wheel.jpg

Timex_m33_date.jpg

Yep you're quite right I am missing some bits. From the manual (kindly supplied by the folk on here) I think it's a "2575" I'm missing. I've since found the small post that the fork end moves about. I wondered where it had come from.

Well it's still running. I'm quite pleased it is and has been all day.

These Timex's fascinate me. For something that's made so cheaply it's still working (less the date) some nearly 50 years later. The dials I've seen have almost always been in fantastic condition. A great deal of innovation went into these, and I can understand the upset it caused in the industry back then.

Timex_m33_running.jpg

and I just shipped two telephone dials off to UK from this lot I've been working on . 3 done and 3 sold. Guess you can say I've caught the buying bug again.  I was doing very well had the on hand collection down to the lowest it has been in years. "maybe less than 100"... now well I have some repairs to get to.

207340047_1182653242233629_484950451567718594_n (1).jpg

Edited by JerseyMo
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, HectorLooi said:

How do you organize your stuff Mo? You amaze me.

I sometimes spend hours looking for stuff that I think I have and find stuff that I don't even know I have.

The organization is based on NOS or used. All the NOS stuff is in original parts envelopes with factory numbering.  So if I get in more NOS parts I take the time to add to each envelope or create a new one if needed.  The used stuff if sorted by hands, movements, and just a general parts bin as I showed in the one pic.  It takes a lot of time and effort to sort through and maintain. But, it pays off when I need to find something.  Of course I forget what I have and often think I have something that used or sold off years ago!

• Thanks 1

JerseyMo, I'm very envious of all those spares. You're teasing me with the exact bit I need!

I'm keeping an eye on ebay currently in the slim hope another will turn up at a good price. That's an impressive collection of Timex's.

I can see how you can easily end up with so many. The, I'll just by another as it might have the bit I need to fix this one applies to me. Then end up with another looking to be fixed up at a later date.

• 5 weeks later...

Here's the before and after shots.

Finally got round to fitting the replacement calendar works parts. It was a close run thing as I managed to lose the date spring twice. Finding after a 40min search, second time a lot quicker thankfully. Sorted out the auto winding too. One of the ratchet pawls got stuck under the wheel.

A little time with some wet & dry sandpaper followed by a dollop of polywatch and voila. All done.

TIMEX_M33_before.jpg

Timex_after1.jpg

• Like 3