Handy little extinct vise from our friends across the pond in the Uk

MechanicMike

8 minutes ago, Watcher said:

Or from Horotec 15mm wide jaws with optional support shown below...MSA08_502.png.ad44994565662c4d1305d521275e67a2.pngMSA08_503.png.00a0aa9bb63c4d2cfe8ff2ac72cbb304.png

I got the vice essentially free with a bit of ebay trading but I had to shell out for the base. 

The vice is Horotec, I had to gamble a little in assuming it was the same vice sold by Bergeon. 

Must be a 3rd party that makes the same vice for both companies. 

IMG_20210704_170800.jpg

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Plato said:

I got the vice essentially free with a bit of ebay trading but I had to shell out for the base. 

The vice is Horotec, I had to gamble a little in assuming it was the same vice sold by Bergeon. 

Must be a 3rd party that makes the same vice for both companies. 

IMG_20210704_170800.jpg

You guys! Yer killin me! Now I'm gonna go broke and start a collection of vises welp! That's a nice setup. Spendy? Fits the Bergeon base.. how does it stay put? 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, MechanicMike said:

You guys! Yer killin me! Now I'm gonna go broke and start a collection of vises welp! That's a nice setup. Spendy? Fits the Bergeon base.. how does it stay put? 

I only wish I had the skills to match some of the tools I've acquired! 

Thinking about it, I'm probably more interested in watchmakers' tools than watches.

So much stuff to get, so little money! 

1 hour ago, MechanicMike said:

Hey if you get that vise from Cousins keep me posted and shoot us some pics. Not even kidding you, that was literally next up on my list. 

Bought! I'll update with some photos on Saturday. It'd be useful to have the Bergeon one next to it to compare.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Plato said:

I only wish I had the skills to match some of the tools I've acquired! 

Thinking about it, I'm probably more interested in watchmakers' tools than watches.

So much stuff to get, so little money! 

That's exactly my problem. This started as a late hobby about 18 months ago now I work on repairs, restore and service pocketwatches and am(was?) A watch geek. Tools and tooling have always been a weakness lol

1 hour ago, Plato said:

Bought! I'll update with some photos on Saturday. It'd be useful to have the Bergeon one next to it to compare.

Hahaha you are as bad as I am with tools! When I ever go, somebody is going to get a really nice set of watch tools, machinist tools and mechanic tools...

Looking forward to the pics and details. 

Tools and clocks are my weakness along with watches, Cant help but fix them up and put them on the shelf. Love 400 day clocks but have to stop now as I am running out of room for the clocks but cant turn down a bargin.  Picked up a couple of clocks a large mantle clock and a 400 day for £45, so still got itchey fingers, must learn to behave.

• Like 3

On 7/4/2021 at 6:07 PM, MechanicMike said:

You and me both. Like I said a few more weeks and I'd probably have a nice shiny new Bergeon vise that my wife would wonder, "THAT little thing was 300 bucks?" 

Once it gets here I'll report back with a few pics.

NAWCC thread link:

https://mb.nawcc.org/threads/eclipse-instrument-vice-180.168442/

Screenshot_20210704-114410_Samsung Internet.jpg

Here's some pictures of the other vice similar to the 2nd Eclipse, Brown & Sharp, Providence USA... heard of them before? It's a well made vice. 

IMG_20210705_171739.jpg

IMG_20210705_171755.jpg

• Like 1

On 7/4/2021 at 6:20 PM, MechanicMike said:

Hey if you get that vise from Cousins keep me posted and shoot us some pics. Not even kidding you, that was literally next up on my list. 

Here's the non-Bergeon vice from Cousins, it looks pretty decent but the jaws aren't perfectly lined up. It's quite well made apart from that and my brother reckons it can be milled down pretty easily, I'll have to ask one of the guys in Engineering where I work. It lines up perfectly underneath but the jaw screws aren't in the centre so they can't be turned around. It'd be sent back if it were the Bergeon at the much higher price. 

IMG_20210707_173712.jpg

IMG_20210707_171816.jpg

IMG_20210707_171825.jpg

IMG_20210707_171820.jpg

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Plato said:

Here's some pictures of the other vice similar to the 2nd Eclipse, Brown & Sharp, Providence USA... heard of them before? It's a well made vice. 

IMG_20210705_171739.jpg

IMG_20210705_171755.jpg

I sure have, and have several Brown n Sharpe machinist tools in my box. That is a machinists or toolmakers vise and a pretty nice one at that, with interchangeable jaws. Look our previous thread and the old Eclipse ad I posted-they have one very similar to this. Yours is in great shape too. 

1 hour ago, Plato said:

Here's the non-Bergeon vice from Cousins, it looks pretty decent but the jaws aren't perfectly lined up. It's quite well made apart from that and my brother reckons it can be milled down pretty easily, I'll have to ask one of the guys in Engineering where I work. It lines up perfectly underneath but the jaw screws aren't in the centre so they can't be turned around. It'd be sent back if it were the Bergeon at the much higher price. 

IMG_20210707_173712.jpg

IMG_20210707_171816.jpg

IMG_20210707_171825.jpg

IMG_20210707_171820.jpg

You know, judging only from the pics, I think you might have done alright! The enamel looks good, the Tommy bar looks of decent quality and the jaws look like they're ground good and parallel. How does it feel? Hows the plate and cam-lok work together? The plate look good too? My little Eclipse hasn't arrived yet. But there just may be two vises in rotation after seeing this 😊👍👌

2 hours ago, Plato said:

IMG_20210707_173712.jpg

IMG_20210707_171816.jpg

IMG_20210707_171825.jpg

IMG_20210707_171820.jpg

Giving some thought to your observations the jaws should be easily squared up if they're not hardened at which point they'd have to be annealed first then milled square, re-hardened and re-ground. And I suppose they can't have too many similarities without running into copyright problems. But Bergeon being what it is, commands and gets their high prices. I agree and would like to be able to see a side by side comparison. 

37 minutes ago, MechanicMike said:

You know, judging only from the pics, I think you might have done alright! The enamel looks good, the Tommy bar looks of decent quality and the jaws look like they're ground good and parallel. How does it feel? Hows the plate and cam-lok work together? The plate look good too? My little Eclipse hasn't arrived yet. But there just may be two vises in rotation after seeing this 😊👍👌

The enamel has one bad patch near the jaws but it doesn't bother me. The jaws are flush against each other but slightly off in shape as pictured. It opens and closes nice and smoothly on a fine thread. The cam-lock seems to be firm but will fit to my bench to test properly on the weekend. All in all, I'm happy enough for the price. I was expecting it to be made in China but a clue from the plastic packaging suggests it's Indian so a plus for me. The jaws on the Eclipse should be perfectly aligned. 

40 minutes ago, MechanicMike said:

Giving some thought to your observations the jaws should be easily squared up if they're not hardened at which point they'd have to be annealed first then milled square, re-hardened and re-ground. And I suppose they can't have too many similarities without running into copyright problems. But Bergeon being what it is, commands and gets their high prices. I agree and would like to be able to see a side by side comparison. 

I'll pay my company's Engineering dept. a visit soon, although for my needs the jaws are probably good enough. They might yet adjust level, I've not got tools at home to check. 

I sure have, and have several Brown n Sharpe machinist tools in my box. That is a machinists or toolmakers vise and a pretty nice one at that, with interchangeable jaws. Look our previous thread and the old Eclipse ad I posted-they have one very similar to this. Yours is in great shape too. 

I didn't take a photo of the underside but it looks to me like this vice could fit on some other platform? It is very well made, I think it only cost me £15 😊

3 hours ago, Plato said:

The enamel has one bad patch near the jaws but it doesn't bother me. The jaws are flush against each other but slightly off in shape as pictured. It opens and closes nice and smoothly on a fine thread. The cam-lock seems to be firm but will fit to my bench to test properly on the weekend. All in all, I'm happy enough for the price. I was expecting it to be made in China but a clue from the plastic packaging suggests it's Indian so a plus for me. The jaws on the Eclipse should be perfectly aligned. 

I think I would be happy too. Right about the India mfg as I think I saw it listed as such on Ofrei.com. like I said I may have 2 vises in the rotation soon lol 

3 hours ago, Plato said:

I didn't take a photo of the underside but it looks to me like this vice could fit on some other platform? It is very well made, I think it only cost me £15 😊

That, is a great find.  I've seen The modern version of your vise new $240-$350 and is built less. Yours with the extra jaw should have vertical and horizontal v-grooves and can also be used as a machinists square. Handy for layout stuff. The underside should have a v-groove along its length and a hole to drill thru-holes I think, for round stock stuff. Brown & Sharpe goes way back mid 19th century and unlike many, are still alive today out on the East Coast last I knew. They make all kinds of machinist tooling and inspection equipment and their vintage stuff is still useable and highly collectible. 

• Like 1

Is that one your? Do you use it alot? Like it?

Yes, that's mine too. I haven't had it long, I bought it after trying to file small parts at various angles, it should make life much easier. Love it, superb quality and really versatile. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Plato said:

The jaws are flush against each other but slightly off in shape as pictured.

I have checked my same from Cousins, one jaw is slightly higher on a side but in my case that is less than 0.10mm.

a clue from the plastic packaging suggests it's Indian so a plus for me. 

Mine came in humble cardboard, I also believe it's made in India.

16 hours ago, MechanicMike said:

Giving some thought to your observations the jaws should be easily squared up if they're not hardened

From testing with a file they're not hardened, which makes sense considering that are meant for light use and one may want to cut grooves to hold round parts or others.

And I suppose they can't have too many similarities without running into copyright problems.

Unless there is a current patent (and I don't think there is, or it has expired), one can copy it down to the smallest detail. For example the jaw anti-lift feature of the american Kurt vices is called ANGLOCK®, which is a fully registered name, not a patent. Their vises are universally copied, sometime the Chinese call them "Accu lock".

• Like 2