Seitz jeweling set

Ok, since today was my introduction to "jewel" issues, I decided to open up the two boxes my Dad left to me.  Identical Seitz jeweling sets.  I think between the two, I have a complete set.  What I need help with is the numbering system (measurement system) so that I can organize all of the components into the right slots.

I found a link to a Seitz brochure/manual on this forum.  It is helpful, but does not answer the measurement question.  I have figured out the reamers because they are stamped.

2021-07-03 19_43_20-Photos.png

2021-07-03 19_43_41-Photos.png

8 hours ago, LittleWatchShop said:

What I need help with is the numbering system (measurement system) so that I can organize all of the components into the right slots.

I think those are measured in hundreds of a mm (Metric millimeters).
As an example I can show the 295, I use a micrometer to measure these exactly.

Here we can se the reading 2.5 + 0.45 = 2.95, in hundreds this make 2.95/ 0.01 = 295.
The types you find in the manual so now you can go on sorting them out.

Size.thumb.png.a87de13bbca685e4622224a4bc560c3d.png

Edited by HSL
clearer picture
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, jdm said:

Shockingly even some American watch factories did, already in 1868
https://www.google.it/books/edition/Research_Report_Number_1_71/AvMcAQAAMAAJ?gbpv=1&pg=PA59

always one of the confusing things in watch repair is isn't just inches or metric there's also some other measurements. Did notice the reference that Elgin is still using inches?

the other place where this really comes up is mainsprings I snipped out some things you can see the Elgin mainspring part numbers the second part of the number is the thickness of the spring in inches. Just because there isn't enough confusion already with mainsprings in metric, Dennison and inches for length Elgin has to have inches for thickness.

Elgin mainspring inches.JPG

There are few versions of this tool.  From what I've gathered, the oldest ones use Ø3mm pushers, which are hard to find.  Current tools and the pushers that are still made are 4mm.

On the newest ones that cap on the head of the stake is threaded on and can be removed.  A smaller cap is placed on the stake and a solid top piece is threaded into internal threads on the micrometer adjusting barrel.  The handle is removed.  This allows the stake to be pushed down by turning the micrometer barrel.  On the tools without this feature the stake and its cap is a single piece and there are no internal threads on the micrometer.

My set is a little different than pictured.  The "reducing ring" on the right end of the 3rd row is missing and there is no space for it.  I don't know what it's for.

SeitzStumps.thumb.jpg.5cf18f24c1aa098f10aac350803c54b4.jpg

On 7/4/2021 at 5:44 PM, xyzzy said:

There are few versions of this tool.  From what I've gathered, the oldest ones use Ø3mm pushers, which are hard to find.  Current tools and the pushers that are still made are 4mm.

I discovered that the two tools I have ARE different.  The base that holds the stump are two different size holes.  I measured one to be 4mm and the other is smaller--guessing 3mm.