I know...you can buy them for a little over ten bucks.  But, my lathe has been feeling unwanted...so...

This little mini staking tool I have is a mystery.  Not sure what it is used for, so today, I took a busted stake from one of the tool drawers and put it on the lathe and turned it down to make this DIY balance tack with it.  I think I need to do some more turning on it, but here it is as of now.

2021-06-27 21_07_00-P1010352.JPG ‎- Photos.png

• Like 3

I never used one because I think it puts a strain on the hairspring. After removing the complete balance from the movement I would turn it over so it can rest then cover it. Work on it when I needed to. 

Nice work as you say it saves buying one. It's always fun making things on your lathe. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

I never used one because I think it puts a strain on the hairspring. After removing the complete balance from the movement I would turn it over so it can rest then cover it.

I agree 100% with that and said it many times. But this one looks like is made do something with the pointy end, not to store cock and balance - at least I hope.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jdm said:

this one looks like

The "pointy" piece is custom.  The base is designed to accept a standard stake, and that was what was in it when I first discovered the tool.  No idea what my Dad used it for.  I just decided to take advantage of the mass and turn the pointy stake.  Will it get any use...dunno.

• 1 year later...
On 6/27/2021 at 9:10 PM, LittleWatchShop said:

I know...you can buy them for a little over ten bucks.  But, my lathe has been feeling unwanted...so...

This little mini staking tool I have is a mystery.  Not sure what it is used for, so today, I took a busted stake from one of the tool drawers and put it on the lathe and turned it down to make this DIY balance tack with it.  I think I need to do some more turning on it, but here it is as of now.

2021-06-27 21_07_00-P1010352.JPG ‎- Photos.png

I have since bought the real deal, and I use it all the time.