Lathe cross slide dismantling

Hi folks - Looking for a bit of assistance with the disassembly of this Lorch cross slide. Is it possible to remove the two plates shown in the attached photos? It looks like the plates should separate to allow me to clean out the old gunk and grime but I am unable to get them free. The pin protruding from one side is used to lock the plates into place at a specific angle but it only rotates about 45 degrees and doesn't appear to release in order for the plates to separate. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

DSC_0275.jpg

DSC_0274.jpg

I think your variant is like mine, you need to rotate the excentre I marked in the picture until it feels loose, in the loosest position you could put a small screwdriver in the hole in the nobb and pull the excentre out.
After that you will be able to gently pry the two slides apart.

Crossslide.png.5b05df6d0acf494161b202f21a58ed98.png

Edited by HSL
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, HSL said:

I think your variant is like mine, you need to rotate the excentre I marked in the picture until it feels loose, in the loosest position you could put a small screwdriver in the hole in the nobb and pull the excentre out.
After that you will be able to gently pry the two slides apart.

Tremendous. That's done the trick. Thank you very much for the speedy reply. It's long overdue a clean!

• Like 1

Perfect! Just in case someone else wounder what was going on I put some pics of the procedure here too.

When the excenter is loose pull gently and twist it a  bit

IMG_20210624_210425.thumb.jpg.d53ef4ad909c34ac81e37793494b7523.jpg

the excenter out of the slide.

IMG_20210624_210456.thumb.jpg.a3e0fe0d473517b0b60526cb5e755463.jpg

when putting the excenter back one should remember to position the hole correctly and gently tapp it back.

IMG_20210624_210701.thumb.jpg.0e765a5b706dc755b6b9ab5a2b4480e7.jpg

thats it...

Edited by HSL
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 years later...

Hi Folks,

I recently obtand a Lorsh lathe with a similar cross slide.  I took it apart for cleaning and now I can't get it to go back together!

The two wind screws go back in for about 1" or so then the reistance is such that I don't want to turn them further in case I do permamnent damage.

Before I took it apart they ran smoothly.

Help!