JeanRichard Diver

This is another from my box-o-watches.  There were several issues that had to be addressed.

First, the case back was very difficult to remove.  Advice from one of WRT's fine members provided the method for getting the back off (attach a nut and take it off with a wrench!).  There was evidence of rust on the case and the rotating bezel.  The bezel was very hard to remove!  Once off, I had to rework the spring that provides tension to keep the bezel from flopping around.

Now to the movement.  There did not appear to be any damage due to water other than a stain here and there.  The real issue was the  wheel that interfaces the auto wind mechanism to the mainspring barrel.  Moving on, I fully disassembled and cleaned the watch using established and approved methods :-).  Assembled (with the broken wheel) to validate functionality.  Odd behavior on the timer, but will come back to that later.

This is an AS 1701 movement, so I went to ebay searching for a new wheel.  Finally settled on a donor movement a guy was selling.  Bought it.  Then I went to cousins and downloaded the spec sheet just to inform myself.  Suddenly buzzers started going off in my head...hmmm.  Discovered that I ALREADY HAD THE SPEC SHEET.  Why?  Well, I must have that movement in my stuff, so I went searching.  Sure enough, I have that movement already.  So, this morning I replaced the fouled wheel and assembled the watch.

With it all together, I decided to troubleshoot the timing issue.  Removed the balance and cock and then separated them.  Looked at the balance under the microscope.  Pivots looked great.  Kinda noticed that there might be some hairpsring sticking, so I cleaned it again.  I dipped it in Ronsonol and then blew it off (this may not be the officially approved method, but I have yet to purchase some one-dip).  Noting else seemed out of order.  In the watch, the balance ran true and the hairspring looked great.  So I put it all back together and ran it on the timer.  Still a little wonky in various positions.

I remember that I had dipped the balance assembly in the Ronsonal AFTER I had already removed, cleaned, and oiled the balance jewel.  Maybe that created an issue, so I removed the top jewel, and cleaned and oiled it again.  I am using Novostar L for the balance wheel.  Interesting stuff.  Very high surface tension...no doubt by design.

After putting the balance jewel back in, I timed it again and it performed quite well in all positions (well...four positions anyway).

The watch is on my desk to observe.

2021-06-22 13_02_17-Photos.png

• Like 1

I like and collect AS 1701 for its detached manual wind. AS made a 30 jewel variant which seem to be rare at least  in my neck of the woods, I have only seen them in RADO, So if jewels count is thirty in your watch, its a rare bird and a keeper in my book. 

• Thanks 1