How To Open A Victorinox Watch Case Back

Greetings All,

I hope this is not a silly question but I'd like to identify what tool(s) I might need to open this type of screw back watch case (see pic. below). This is an inexpensive Victorinox Swiss Army watch and I really don't want to spend $20-$25 at a Jeweler's to have the battery replaced. I know it's definitely not a snap/pop off case.

Thanks,

Klimi99

post-935-0-07987200-1429520480_thumb.jpg

A sticky ball would work.

I have a Swiss Army watch (same as Victorinox) and I was able to open it by laying it flat on a soft cloth and using another cloth on the back to turn the back (it's a screw on back). You'll need quite a bit of down pressure to get it to move, but don't break the glass !!!! 

The sticky ball might be a better and safer alternative.

Welcome to the forum btw !

I believe it is a pressure back not a screw in...they do that sometimes to mimic more expensive watches. You'll find inside a regular Ronda 515 movement (if only a date dial). I believe if you try Rolex type dies to open it you will find none of them fit...because it is not a screw on! Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Bob

PS. I believe there is an indentation on the case to fit the knife. You will need a press to close it back!

• Like 1

Thanks for the tips. I've had this little guy since 1999 or so. The few times I've taken it to a Battery Plus or similar store that replaces batteries, I am told they can't do it because they lack the special tool to open it. When I go to a Jeweler -- and overpay for a battery change--  the watch guy goes to the back, does his magic, but never explains what type of tool he used. 

I bought a sticky ball and will try that just in case it is a screwback. I have other watches on which I can use the ball.

Thanks,

Klimi99

"overpriced" It's not overpriced, you're paying a professional for his time and expertise. (though I do believe what I charge for this particular watch works out to be a little less, 10 GBP)
"never explains what tool he uses." why should he?

Edited by Ishima

Well, I got a hermetic non-reply from Victorinox. Reading the subtext I guess this is an oyster back case.

Thank you for contacting Victorinox Swiss Army.

You have one of our Original watches.  Large 24221, small 24241.  Battery changes and repairs should be done at an authorized repair center.  I would send your watch to...

They then provide the address to some watch servicing center here in TX. 

:geek: 

Another original Swiss military watch, deceiving back is NOT screw in but pressed in.

post-253-0-42306100-1429639305.jpg

Did you check if any Rolex type dies fit yours? Normally they shouldn't fit or grab if not screw in... and it takes quite an effort to remove these pressure backs and will need a press to put it back in.

Hope it helps,

Cheers,

Mystery solved! It is a press in back with a faux oyster back motif. I guess the people who didn't want to open it were fooled by the little grooves and the fellow at the battery place who tried to open it but could not didn't quite know what he was up to. I took it to a local jeweler who replaced the battery for US$13.00 (around 8.70 pounds). It took him all of 2 minutes. I might invest in a press and the proper opening tool to do this at home. I have a small collection of inexpensive watches that need batteries every so often.

Thanks for the info and tips - 

klimi99

I believe it is a pressure back not a screw in...they do that sometimes to mimic more expensive watches. You'll find inside a regular Ronda 515 movement (if only a date dial). I believe if you try Rolex type dies to open it you will find none of them fit...because it is not a screw on! Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Bob

PS. I believe there is an indentation on the case to fit the knife. You will need a press to close it back!

Your call was spot on Bob! :)

• Like 1

Good catch Bob !

That back had me fooled for sure ! I was pretty sure it was a screw on, my Swiss Army watch has the exact same type of back, but it's a screw on !!!! Same brand, same back, even same movement !!!

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

cheap watches (including pocket watches)  are designed to fool you.  the press backs use to have a slight notch to insert a "knife type tool".   another problem is poor manufactioning,  the back may never "pop off".  i use a jewelers hammer and a razor blade if i suspect its pop off.    the should be held in a "fixure" to hold it vertical. vin

cheap watches (including pocket watches)  are designed to fool you.  the press backs use to have a slight notch to insert a "knife type tool".   another problem is poor manufactioning,  the back may never "pop off".  i use a jewelers hammer and a razor blade if i suspect its pop off.    the should be held in a "fixure" to hold it vertical. vin

I use the jewellers hammer and my Swiss Army Knife. Safer than a razor blade.
Neil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Neileg said:

Neil

3 hours ago, Neileg said:

Neil
         what every works without too much blood in the case.  actually,  you can sharpen a knife to have the same edge as a "safety razor blade".  vin

19 hours ago, Neileg said:

Dead right Vinn3. But the knife has a handle and the blade is more robust. If the razor blade works for you then go for it.

here is another thought,    the ( safety razor blade)  is SO thin,   it will open the seam - allowing the case opener to enter?  be shure to use a jewelers hammer an not a hand sledge.  vin

• 2 weeks later...