eta movements stopping just before date change

Hi all I am new to this hobby but have already successfully serviced a 2824 and 2783 movement with the help on this forum.

I do however have a problem with 2 watches I am trying to get up and running at the moment a ETA 2783 and a ETA 2778.

Although the date will change when moving the hands forward 24 hours manually, both will stop just before the date change when running  although the seconds hand keeps running and was wondering which part is likely to be causing the problem.

On the 2783 I have changed over the calender parts and the canon pinion from another 2783 and it works fine.

I haven't been able to find this problem googling but hopefully some others have also had this problem and managed to sort it.

Many thanks in advance

always confusing when it's two separate watches but I'm going to assume they're basically identical. What was their condition before you service them in other words did have a problem before and the problem came after you've serviced or was the problems there before?

Then timing machine results you do have a timing machine don't you? In other words what's the running condition of the watch like of the watches barely running that would be an issue for a calendar change

2 hours ago, avantbiy said:

On the 2783 I have changed over the calender parts and the canon pinion from another 2783 and it works fine.

then you fix the problem?

2 hours ago, avantbiy said:

ETA 2778.

so I'm guessing we only have to worry about the 2778 then? Yes this is what happens when you have multiple watches with too much going on it becomes confusing.

then it would be helpful to have a picture of the dial side components because we didn't memorize every single calendar change mechanism.

one of the places to look is the Canon pinion assembly in other words to visit have enough force to drive the calendar mechanism? I'm having to guess because I'm not finding a good tech sheet that shows the parts. If it's a kinda Canon pinion I think which is the Canon pinion that slips into her presses into with friction with the wheel if it no longer has and the friction then a cannot drive the calendar but if you manually set the watch that drives the Canon pinion directly and everything should function. then if you two of the parts list it would be listed as canon pinion with drive wheel.

.But it would be helpful in the picture just to make sure

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&0&2uswk&ETA_2778

3 hours ago, avantbiy said:

Although the date will change when moving the hands forward 24 hours manually, both will stop just before the date change when running  although the seconds hand keeps running

I am not sure if I correctly understand you here.

Only the seconds hand keeps running or minute and hour hands do move too, in case minute and hour hands move and show time right, then the fault is in date change train including date jumper mech, but if it doesn't show time correctly ( appear to loose time) then its loose canon pinion.

You can tighten a loose canon pinion, use grease to lube it, not oil.

Nucejoe has made some good points about the calendar mechanism. If the watch physically stops at least the hands stop and the secondhand keeps going that means the watch train is running it means that it's a disconnect between the gear train and our minute hand in calendar mechanism.

The Canon opinion which I'm going but I guess is the type that snaps into a drive wheel. The drive wheel is driven by the gear train the Canon pinion goes on the post there is no friction there. If the friction between the drive wheel in the Canon pinion disintegrates which he can then with the least amount of friction like a calendar mechanism it just quit striving. The hands come to a stop the watch keeps running the secondhand keeps moving because it's independence of all of this.

It should have been obvious when the watch was going to gather and you check the setting mechanism before you put the calendar on you would have noticed zero friction as a guess. Even now when you go into hands setting you'll feel like there's no friction at all.

Then the reason why the calendar mechanism works when you manually rotate the hands is because the setting wheel is driving the Canon pinion directly which is driving the calendar mechanism and that our wheel and all of that so all of that will run from that we just will not run from the gear train running the drive wheel that's connected to the Canon pinion. But that's just my wild guess and then we throw in Nucejoe's possible calendar mechanism increased friction than we need to really isolate all of this or we can continue to guess.

Many thanks for the advice and help guys. It sounds as if it is probably the canon pinion with driving wheel (part 242).

As the cousins website says this is the same part for both of these calibres i am going to try just changing this part between the movements at the week-end  to make sure it is the canon pinion that is at fault.

I will let you know how i get on.

Cannon pinion/centre wheel slip is very common on Accutron 218 series....

A nice bodge to prove it is remove the wheel take it off the cannon, reverse it and refit. You may then get it working again, but make sure you oil/lube it before use, the interface between the cannon and centre-wheel...

• Like 1

supposedly there is a way to tighten the driving wheel so it grabs the canon pinion. but in my experience has been problematic at least for me. Because it is a thin piece of brass and you have to close it without destroying it.

1 minute ago, Alastair said:

A nice bodge to prove it is remove the wheel take it off the cannon, reverse it and refit. You may then get it working again, but make sure you oil/lube it before use, the interface between the cannon and centre-wheel...

strangely enough this was going to be my suggestion it does work but how long it works for is unknown. Usually flipping it over will get you some time. The best is just to replace it.