I didn't say anything because I wasn't sure....

But after rupturing (read completely tearing in two) the main tendon between my right bicep and my forearm bone, I am in surgery this Friday and then 6~8 weeks for recovery. I cannot use my arm for just about the entire 6~8 weeks. That's no driving. I can't even use my hand to type.

I don't have the option of waiting a month to see how things go and then go for surgery as the tendon begins to scar. They are already saying that I am on the edge of the timeframe to get it done.

Yeehah............. 😞 

Edited by Michael1962
  • Sad 1

Good luck @Michael1962.

A few years ago I ruptured my ACL and had to have surgery to remove a hamstring and use that to repair my ACL.  I wasn't allowed to put any weight on my leg for 6 months.  After 6 months I had lost all my muscle mass and wasn't able to support my own body weight.  But another 6 months later I ran a half marathon!

It's a long hard road to recovery but you can do it.  Don't despair.  Use your downtime wisely.  Don't turn to alcohol.

I don't drink much since I had a stroke in Nov 2014. I now take a pain medication that does not play well with alcohol.

I am not super positive about all the restrictions that will be imposed on me after the surgery, but I have been told that I am not to even support my arm on a desk and type straight after. I understand what they are going to do, just not sure of the restrictions that I will be under.

Difficult when I am a righty as well.

• 5 months later...

Having had 3 rh shoulder repairs and amputating most of the top of my rh middle finger Life as a lefty is difficult for a few weeks. Pain will be your guide for the first couple of weeks.

Its uncomfortable and an embuggerance, but necessary to get your arm function back, DONT do anything stupid.

Tendons have a very limited blood supply and that is why they take so long to heal.

Listen to the physios and follow their instructions.(evil sadistic bitchs all of them)

A great guide to the fact that you are healing is when you get to use your master hand to wipe your bum and brush your teeth with minimal pain (not at the same time).

Then you have the exercises to rebuild your arm strength.

Good luck with it all, dont rush it, Doctors abhor warranty work and you have to start over.

Stay positive.

Cheers

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.