Seiko 6602 9981 help

Question

I ended up putting this particular watch together out of two different movements.  It doesn't matter which set of hands I use they won't move unless moved by the stem.  At first I thought they were loose but that's not the issue.  So basically, I can't figure out why I can set the hands but yet they don't move on their own.  Thank you for any help. 

David 

Edit. Second hand does move.  Not hour or minute. 

16241189576251407336163091172.jpg

Edited by easj369
  • Confused 1

8 answers to this question

5 minutes ago, Nucejoe said:

Loose canon pinion.

I made me this contraption to tighten canon pinion with, dull the cutting edge of the nailclipper, the screw provides a micrometer action to give you more control.

Good luck

20200717_135552.thumb.jpg.90dc9e6e730c72b069e8f08931c782ec.jpg

• Like 1

Hi   You state that the hands don't move under normal circumstances, does the balance still oscillate whilst in this condition ? If so then you have a drive problem. Uncase the watch and remove the date complication then re fit the hands and run the watch do the hour and min wheels rotate?  and the canon pinion turn, If not do as Joe says and tighten the canon pinion and try again as its the canon that provides the drive.  Whats the caliber of the movement.

5 minutes ago, watchweasol said:

Hi   You state that the hands don't move under normal circumstances, does the balance still oscillate whilst in this condition ? If so then you have a drive problem. Uncase the watch and remove the date complication then re fit the hands and run the watch do the hour and min wheels rotate?  and the canon pinion turn, If not do as Joe says and tighten the canon pinion and try again as its the canon that provides the drive.  Whats the caliber of the movement.

Yes,  second hand is going around, what just got me is how I can still set them, yet the watch doesn't do it.   It's a seiko 6602

The weep/second hand is driven from the centre wheel extension through the canon pinion so if the canon slips/fails to drive the second hand will continue to operate independently.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, easj369 said:

Yes,  second hand is going around, what just got me is how I can still set them, yet the watch doesn't do it.   It's a seiko 6602

So the minute gear/ train is OK if you can set the hands.

In case it jumps the date by itself, date complication is OK unless amplitude drops noticably when it gets near to jumping the date.  

Usually hands move easily with loose canon pinion.

Edited by Nucejoe
  • Like 1

I just wanted to say thank you for the responses.   I changed out the cannon pinion from the spare movement I had and now its finally working like it should.

David