To Rechrome or not to Rechrome. (by me) That is the question.

Michael1962

Everybody, would you take on the task of cleaning up some parts and then sending them away to get rechromed or would you make the set up yourself and rechrome them yourself?

The Hettich has some chromed parts which have been attacked by the battery goo. I can either take them to someone who chromes in Geelong or set up the gear to do it myself. The only thing I don't know where to get is nichrome wire or a 5V, 1A power source. If you have a look here, this seems to make it look fairly easy with really promising looking results. What I am not sure of is the level of preparation that may be required as there is some fairly heavy corrosion on the parts from the battery acid.

Anybody have any suggestions?

Edited by Michael1962

• Michael1962 changed the title to To Rechrome or not to Rechrome. (by me) That is the question.

Nickel plating is possible at home, chrome plating is not really possible at home.

If you want it chrome plated you need to take it to a professional.

The solution in that beaker looks like a nickle salt, not chrome, reading the description it even says nickel plated.

If you want to do nickel plating look for a local jewellery supply store they will sell nickel ingots used in plating. I did it a while back and using HCL made nickel chloride, but you can use vinegar and make nickel acetate which is safer.

If you do want to try home nickel plating practice on something you don't care about first, if you get it wrong you will end up with a very rough surface. Also read up on the safety required too.

Chroming chemicals are pretty regulated here in the US. Heavy metals and associated toxicity. Difficult to dispose of the byproducts. The last time I had some (car) parts rechromed more than a decade ago, it was a real struggle to find anyone to touch it. That was in Texas, hardly an environmental utopia... Australia may very well be a different story.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.