Omega Constellation Automatic COSC Cal.1001 Service and Refinish

https://youtu.be/VZRTrIWAtgs

YouTube Video Link

Hi guys Check out my latest video on YouTube and If you like the video please hit the LIKE thumb up button and do subscribe, new video do update constantly, there are more coming right away.

Do comment below if you have anything in mind you are welcome to leave something. Cheers and thanks for watching. Cheers

maxresdefault.thumb.jpg.d4859b63bf660156f7b26f9612bdc682.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/17/2021 at 2:11 PM, Plato said:

In the video you seemed to be cleaning the movement parts in water and washing-up liquid, I stopped watching after that. 

This one rude comment completely killed my watch repair community buzz.

I forgot, in this quiet little secluded corner of the web, that the internet is full of jerks. Thanks for the reminder...not sure I want to play anymore.

Edited by PinLeverPete

On 6/17/2021 at 12:11 PM, Plato said:

In the video you seemed to be cleaning the movement parts in water and washing-up liquid, I stopped watching after that. 

the problem is that part of the video went too fast they ask they do make commercial watch cleaning fluids that use water. So depending upon how it's done water-based cleaners can be okay but from my own experience using the water-based clock cleaners I found that it cleaned too well and there was a likelihood of parts rusting but I do know of people on this group using water-based watch cleaning fluids.

8 hours ago, PinLeverPete said:

it would really help if you had of said please comment but nothing negative as it would upset me.

I forgot, in this quiet little secluded corner of the web, that the internet is full of jerks. Thanks for the reminder...not sure I want to play anymore.

are you suggesting this discussion group is full of jerks? Oh dear

then silly people like me always like to see not just the watch looks really pretty but what does it look like on the timing machine?

• Like 1

Apologies, being rude for the sake of it wasn't my intention. However, shouldn't instructional videos be left for the experts you can learn something from? It's a hard enough a subject without being misled by poor practices - please correct me if my opinion was wrong (it won't be the first time). I want to learn how to repair watches correctly 

I will think twice before being negative again. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Plato said:

However, shouldn't instructional videos be left for the experts you can learn something from?

were both having a problem here? What is the purpose of the above video? If it's a teaching video for watch repair then? Somebody once said if you can't say anything positive don't say anything at all so I guess I can't say anything which gives you an answer of what I'm thinking.

On the other hand if this is an entertaining video for people of never seen the inside of a watch and don't really care if it's being done correctly or not and you look at the reviews and the comments then the video is for filling that purpose. The watch gets disassembled a gets cleaned it looked clean it goes back together it's not being lubricated correctly but who cares visually to the untrained eye it looks nice and they get to see the inside of a watch so it's an entertaining video.

the problem here is we should have grasped what the purpose the video was before posting comments otherwise they come across as being negative when we didn't understand the purpose the video. So for entertainment purposes thumbs up looks great

Edited by JohnR725

46 minutes ago, Plato said:

Apologies, being rude for the sake of it wasn't my intention. However, shouldn't instructional videos be left for the experts you can learn something from? It's a hard enough a subject without being misled by poor practices - please correct me if my opinion was wrong (it won't be the first time). I want to learn how to repair watches correctly 

I will think twice before being negative again. 

Many people make videos of whatever it is they do regardless of whether they're using correct techniques or not. Unfortunately the bulk of watch repair videos fall into the "bad techniques" group, and many new to the hobby/trade assume if it's on YT with lots of likes it's pretty professional. I don't see anything wrong with expressing dislike for a video.

• Like 1

I think I've been critical of a guy who's just tried to make an entertaining video for people who just like 'asmr' content. It probably wasn't meant as an instructional video, just something for fun. 

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing. 

Cheers guys. 

I think jayG has the potentials to become well accomplished in horology . He shows vids of his work and welcomes comments. I am looking forward to watching more of his vids.

Join me to wish him health and success.

On 7/1/2021 at 2:36 PM, JohnR725 said:

It would really help if you had of said please comment but nothing negative as it would upset me.

Uh, yeah...it’s not my video. 

My point is this: I personally do not wish to share my accomplishments, techniques, methods, etc. if this how I’ll be treated. I’m just having fun and I don’t take this hobby too seriously. I’m not spending hundreds of dollars on timegraphers and specialty tools. I have basic things, like hand made oilers, moebius 9010, and a small $40 isonic ultrasonic bath. I buy old broken watches and bring them back to life. 

Will I be mocked, too?

I’ll just go back to keeping to myself, then.

Edited by PinLeverPete

39 minutes ago, PinLeverPete said:

My point is this: I personally do not wish to share my accomplishments, techniques, methods, etc. if this how I’ll be treated.

I'm being confused?

The original person posted look what I did here's my video and they did ask for comments they got comments. I assume when people ask for comments they would like help to do things better because this person has a lot of potential just needs a little tweaking here and there perhaps.

In your case you're not asking for approval for a video are you? You want to share and help us we could use help. But I don't own the message board I'm not even a moderator I can't guarantee that somebody's not going to say something negative to you. unfortunately were all human beings with different ideas and thoughts. for instance I posted what I thought was a helpful idea for finding watch material and somebody came through and basically said I was an idiot . So everybody has an opinion near a lot of people have come from very different backgrounds there will be different ideas.

48 minutes ago, PinLeverPete said:

I’m just having fun and I don’t take this hobby too seriously. I’m not spending hundreds of dollars on timegraphers and specialty tools. I have basic things, like hand made oilers, moebius 9010, and a small $40 isonic ultrasonic bath. I buy old broken watches and bring them back to life. 

having fun that's outstanding we could all use some more that. once again I'm not speaking for the group but I don't really care how you service your watch. Unless of course you ask is this the best way of doing it and maybe I perceive there's a better way I might say something not trying to be negative if that should ever happens.

53 minutes ago, PinLeverPete said:

Will I be mocked, too?

I’ll just go back to keeping to myself, then.

there is always an exception to the rule, I think you'll find that this is a friendly discussion group.

Well, I ‘we used water-based cleaning solutions in my Ultrasonic cleaning machine for at least 10+ years. Before that I used water based cleaning solutions in ordinary watch cleaning machines too.
I think it isn’t the water based solutions like the one he uses in the video, Elma (Red) 1 : 9 which is the problem but more the rinsing process afterwards.

Using ammonium-water-based cleaning solutions in the wrong way like shooting away for a longer time than the manufacturer recommends will probably damage the surface on the components. Rinsing them too little and with a wrong process and not drying them properly will surely corrode your pinions and pivots. I’m aware of the debate about them too but the most of my vintage watches, manual wound, automatic and chronographs has survived for decades of being cleaned in water-based solutions.

I must say except the quality of the video, with a touch of youth and speed, he for sure has the capability of becoming a brilliant watch service guy.

I even think he wants critique of his work, sometimes it might be harsh and not well founded and some might be harsh and well formulated. Some might even be good, but after all one live and learn and regardless of the critique every kind feedback will be a step forward in your learning process, one just have to be able to handle them all.

• Like 1

On 7/9/2021 at 5:02 AM, PinLeverPete said:

My point is this: I personally do not wish to share my accomplishments, techniques, methods, etc. if this how I’ll be treated

As the Jerk you initially referred to, I'd hate for you to feel that way because of a throw away comment I made. I doubt JayG17 even cares, as far as I can tell he only posted on here to get subscribers to his YouTube channel - watch repair enthusiasts to watch a watch repair video.

This is part of the description to the above video - "I’m Making this video for servicing a Omega Cal.1001 movement as a reference to share my patient and hobby in watchmaking and also learning path to each of everyone here." So he is trying to instruct others, as far as I can tell.

To be fair, the quality of the videos are quite good and I have subscribed to his channel.

This forum is the best one for advice, I would have posted many questions over the years if it weren't for the fact that they had all already been answered - most of my google searches ended up on this website.