Fried interview 1992

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• I don't know for this specific calibre, but sometimes this kind of barrels can not be opened, as the lid is sealed by rolling  material of the barrel over it. So, if the barrel is openable, then open it and go ahead. If doesn't seems to be openable, then show pictures here to think on.
    • “It’s serviced and in perfect condition” so they told me. Found this nice piece in Italy. Manual wind, column wheel chronograph from the 60s (or so). Seller was swearing on his mothers grave that the watch is at its best condition. Better than from the factory. Sure, the price was nice, it did sound sketchy, but I bought it anyways.    Hour hands are not set correctly, the chrono hand is bent, guess why :), chronograph does not reset properly, 6.5 beat error and so on. Something tells me I only sketched the surface. 🙂
    • Thank you all for your informations. I will do as suggested. Return the pin to its original position. Replace the pallet fork. I have ordered the correct 6498 movement. I will install the new movement and finish the pocket watch.  I will return both, the pocket watch and the old movement to the owner. I do apologise to you all. It is obvious to me that I have not learned or understood the skills correctly.
    • This looks like a Seiko mainspring barrel, I am sure there are many you tube videos out there showing how to open those and I'm pretty sure it will be the same technique (see below about 7 mins in). @clockboy I see what you are saying, but agree it's hard to tell if its damage/dirt or a trick of the light.  
    • Hello everyone,  I recently acquired a watch that I've long considered a "grail". A JLC Memovox. Specifically, the reference E875 ("Speed Beat") with a calibre 916. I got it for really good price and it is in full original condition.  It's still running quite well, but I do want to service it.  I found the service manual online (attached) and it seems to be doable. JLC 916.pdf But I'd still be grateful for any tips!!  One specific question I have is related to the mainspring barrel. The manual says that the barrel "should never be opened. In case of defect, replace the whole barrel assembly".  Now, I've opened "do not open"-barrels before and reused them with no problems. And there are other threads discussing this matter in a more general way. But I'd be very grateful if anyone had specific knowledge of this movement or other JLC movements from the 1970s.  Obviously, it's impossible to source a NOS barrel complete for this movement (and even if, the breaking grease and arbor lubrication would not be in good condition anymore).  So I'm left with only two options: open the barrel as usual or just leave it closed and reuse. (Well, or I pay 4-digit service costs at JLC/Richmond group.)