Automatic winding.

Hello all. If an automatic watch winds from the crown, can you reduce the power reserve by winding it too often causing the mainspring to slip and having the effect of the mainspring being partially unwound. I have a friend who says that his watch does not run very long after he has wound it. I think he may be winding it too often instead of just wearing it and letting the automatic mechanism function as it should.

Thoughts appreciated, thank you.

4 hours ago, fjseal said:

If an automatic watch winds from the crown, can you reduce the power reserve

Logic says that's not possible because no matter if manual or auto the mainspring is wound anyway. If a long time is passed since the last servicing is a good idea to do it again and throughly check all power and winding components.

• Like 1

On 6/10/2021 at 7:19 AM, fjseal said:

Hello all. If an automatic watch winds from the crown, can you reduce the power reserve by winding it too often causing the mainspring to slip and having the effect of the mainspring being partially unwound. I have a friend who says that his watch does not run very long after he has wound it.

when the mainspring slips it only slips a little bit it should still run quite some time.

were missing information? Like exactly which watch is this, how much hand winding does he do in other words how many turns and how long does it run?

it sounds like in real life the watch needs to be serviced.