Unusual barrel arbour broken!,

clockboy

Sorted sorry no picture of the pin but when I tapped the arbour to remove the lid of the barrel a tinny pin dislodged which I have found on my worktop. It sits here. With a google search it is suggested that this design was to allow removal of the barrel without splitting the plate. This Kienze movement is very unusual  it has two clicks for one on the mainsprings. See pic.

F6CD8DCD-7D74-4C39-93FC-832D5A3E750C.thumb.jpeg.84030f3d64e70bdbedfbe98a747c9edd.jpeg
907A13E6-F6AF-477B-8644-BADDD5A0FED7.thumb.jpeg.317626de5a275671111491552caef610.jpeg

I worked on a similar Kienzle movement before. In fact, it was my very 1st chime movement. 

The arbor has a locking pin as you have discovered. I found it very convenient as it was easier to remove the barrels.

The chime barrel indeed has 2 clicks. Yours might be missing one of the springs as the one I worked on had two springs. Perhaps it's because the chime mainspring is so strong that they felt it needed a failsafe. 

20200127_141105.thumb.jpg.b7f79164932a85e5cf3f6ad7d4384ff8.jpg

Yes the picture was taken after I had removed one of the springs. I just could not release the power and lift both clicks at the same time. I presume the arbour can be tapped out while the barrel is still in the clock, if so this one was very tight indeed. 

This clock was worked on by the customers farther who tried to not get it running but failed. So it’s just a sentimental clock repair that he wants to see running. But all sorts of scratches, brushed screws and other damage and of cause copious amounts of WD 40 around the movement. So a big challenge but I promised I,ll give it my best attention. 
PS another challenge I have raging tooth ache at present so difficult  to concentrate. 😡 

1 hour ago, clockboy said:

PS another challenge I have raging tooth ache at present so difficult  to concentrate. 😡 

Haha. I could help you with your toothache but I'm on the other side of the Earth.

Call your dentist for an emergency appointment. In the meantime ....

If it is a gum problem, rinse with warm saline 3 to 4 times a day.

If it is a nerve problem, take a mouthful of cold water and hold it for as long as possible.

If it's really bad, take an OTC painkiller as directed.

11 minutes ago, HectorLooi said:

Haha. I could help you with your toothache but I'm on the other side of the Earth.

Call your dentist for an emergency appointment. In the meantime ....

If it is a gum problem, rinse with warm saline 3 to 4 times a day.

If it is a nerve problem, take a mouthful of cold water and hold it for as long as possible.

If it's really bad, take an OTC painkiller as directed.

Thanks I have an appointment this afternoon. I have been rubbing in a sensodyne toothpaste onto the tooth which has eased it a great deal.

31 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

This is a system that is used so you knock the arbor out so to release the barrel complete without taking the movement to pieces. Just don't lose that pin. A double click is a safety thing in case one breaks.  

31 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

This is a system that is used so you knock the arbor out so to release the barrel complete without taking the movement to pieces. Just don't lose that pin. A double click is a safety thing in case one breaks.  

Thanks. I have now cleaned springs etc and now clean the winding part of the arbour now  pulls out without too much effort. As you say the pin is small. Its another part of the none ending horological learning curve. 

• Like 1