So I got a clock, now what?

AshF

Hello clock people.

Today my wife thought it would be a good time to reclaim the family clock from her father's house.  She grew up with this clock and loves it.  I'm not so sure...

From what I know it was working about 15 years ago but hasn't been wound up since (I will give it a go tomorrow).  My wife seems to think the case was made by her grandfather who was a carpenter.  I have the pendulum which I removed for transport.

I'm quite confident with watches but have never tackled a clock.  I just want to check that I'm not about to blindly set to work on something valuable or with hard to find parts.  If anyone can fill in any details about the movement or has any tips about this particular model that would be great.

1055276073_IMG_20210530_2224492.thumb.jpg.ca0fbcd75762efb660d88c0465ccb492.jpgIMG_20210530_222059.thumb.jpg.4cf853edd2cb2b6f02fb356781d1f19d.jpgIMG_20210530_222554.thumb.jpg.d73c9e46f197b76416bfb8cffde59578.jpgIMG_20210530_222636.thumb.jpg.b12461612d4a833f7c822d0ae70e9647.jpg

Many thanks,

Ash.

• Like 2

Hi Ash, welcome to the forum the clock is a H.A.C (Hamburg American Clock) the company was founded around 1883, called Landenberger and Lang ,and around 1891 became H.A,C ,the 2 arrows on the right is there logo.

It's a three train movement possibly Westminster chime not the easiest clock to start with put with the help of more experience people on the forum who can guide you through it, it will probably need stripping down cleaned and checked for any repairs needed but you are in safe hands hear. I take it you have tried winding it up to see if it is working or striking

good luck

• Thanks 1

Looks like a HAC Hamburg American Corporation from Germany because of the crossed arrows. Westminster chime 8 day duration. The case could have been made by grandfather it certainly is professionally made. Looking at the style of hands I would say late art deco so that would be the end of 1930's. You will need a clock mainspring winder if you intend to completely clean it and remove the springs, the chime side one will be very strong as it has more work to do. Normally its dirt and wear that stop these movement s from working properly. They need setting up so the movement has a nice ever tick. 

• Thanks 1

Thank you all, I know I'm in good hands with you lot.

Just had a look and it doesn't tick for more than 30 seconds which I guess is just the pendulums natural weight.  It does chime correctly on the quarters and counts off the hours on the hour.

When winding the middle and right barrel they felt good, positive torque and click.  The left barrel is either fully wound or stuck, I didn't force it.

I've read quite a few forum posts on here to further my knowledge of clocks.  I have a good selection of watch tools so my shopping list for clock tools is currently...

• Windles Clock Oil
  • Mainspring Let Down Tool
  • Safety Glasses
  • Gloves - Heavy Duty
  • Bergeon 4126 Clock Mainspring Winder

I need some pliers suitable for grasping the mainsping tail, any suggestions on the Cousins website?

Is there anything else I may need short term while I'm stripping it?