Need help on the definition of mainsprings in terms of dimensions

I'm interested to learn the definition of a pocket and a wristwatch mainspring, in terms of dimensions.
1) What is the general height range for a wrist watch mainspring? Eg. 1mm to 2mm
2) What is the general diameter range for a wrist watch mainspring? Eg. 7mm to 12mm
3) What is the general height range for a pocket watch mainspring?
4) What is the general diameter range for a pocket watch mainspring?
5) Is the mainspring eye/hole size generally half the height of the mainspring?

Reason: I'm looking to classify them correctly for improving the rs winder project releases.

Will appreciate any help.

Hi @oldhippy! Thanks for your input.

I guess what I am looking for is the popular range of sizes rather than the general range. Even a rough range will work for me.

Actually, I have been looking at Cousins for a few days now, but I'm not able to discern this info out of it. They have such a huge range.

4 hours ago, Zero said:

1) What is the general height range for a wrist watch mainspring? Eg. 1mm to 2mm
2) What is the general diameter range for a wrist watch mainspring? Eg. 7mm to 12mm
3) What is the general height range for a pocket watch mainspring?
4) What is the general diameter range for a pocket watch mainspring?
5) Is the mainspring eye/hole size generally half the height of the mainspring?

I don't think you're going to get the answer you're looking for?

1 hour ago, Zero said:

I guess what I am looking for is the popular range of sizes rather than the general range. Even a rough range will work for me.

perhaps another way to do this is to look at the mainspring winder sets. I have a couple links below and images. There is a set of winders for specific calibers unfortunately it does not give the diameter size. I think somewhere in the group we might have already measured these. I think this is basically the same set the Chinese are selling so obviously this should be the popular sizes. Then I also snipped out all of the Swiss winders that does have the diameter the winders themselves.

As far as pocket watches weeks have the same problem we had four the above which is which watches ladies wristwatches gents wristwatches automatic manual wind conceivably there although different than whose pocket watches Swiss American?

I suppose the easiest way to get the American pocket watch diameters would be to measure mainsprings set they usually don't have very many.

As far as the hole size at the end I don't think there's a standard here. The Swiss when they do their manufacturing may have a standard but if you're comparing it to a variety of American pocket watches they will be different more than likely.

then they give you generic American pocket watch mainsprings sizes at least the most common ones I've attached a PDF.

https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/watch-etaomegarolex-calibres?code=M56903

https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/watch-bergeon-2729

mainspring winders all of them.JPG

mainspring winders specific calipers.JPG

HR watch mainsprings.PDF

• Like 1

Thanks @JohnR725, @watchweasol. After spending some time going through the material you have kindly shared with me, and I think I am finally starting to have a clue.

Looking at the list of winders you provided, it seems that the commercial winders go from 4.60mm to 19mm. That is good enough for me as a starting point, thank you very much for the clippings!

So, I'm leaning on building and releasing two sets of winders in these ranges (for now, at least):
1. Normal size winder: diameter 7mm to 12.5mm, max height 1.6mm.
2. Large size winder: diameter 13mm to 18.5mm, max height 2.8mm.
3. Both assume half the height as the hole size.

The height values I just took from the most popular search results in Cousins. I'm not sure if it is the right choice. If I put too much space for the height, would it increase the chance of the spring accidentally getting tangled in the winder?