Asking for help with Timex Automatic:

I have on my bench a Timex Automatic (would it be a Viscount, circa 1979?) marked 37869 10979, 38 mm dia. with day & date. Symptoms that the owner/dealer wants me to correct are 1) the stem does not seem able to find that first detent where the date & day can be set, and 2) crown is unbelievably worn down and he wants a new stem-&-crown if I can get one.

I think I might need a new setting lever too. So far, the impression I get is of a degree of wear.  The stem *seems* to slide in and out almost too easily.  And I can't get it to stay in that sweet spot where the day or date rings turn.  I will be stripping it down further in a bit, but I wanted to hear if this might be a common problem.  I'm also hoping @JerseyMofinds this.

20210528_235931.jpg

20210529_202949.jpg

20 hours ago, KarlvonKoln said:

OMG!  So that's how it's done!  I tried this and it works!  So there's nothing wrong with this watch after all; it's just a pain in the behind.  Man, glad you'd only need to update the date once in a while.  Thanks a million @HectorLooi!

yep, remember these are budget watches and features such as "quick set" were not available.  That crown is way over worn and if you give me the dial code printed the below the 6 hour I'll look to see if I have a replacement.

3 hours ago, JerseyMo said:

yep, remember these are budget watches and features such as "quick set" were not available.  That crown is way over worn and if you give me the dial code printed the below the 6 hour I'll look to see if I have a replacement.

Mo, I'd be much obliged.  I've had terrible luck knowing where to scare up exactly the right crown.  The code reads: 37869 10979.  If you have one, my dealer friend will be very happy. He asked me to try to get it as usable as possible. And if it comes with a stem in it, I'd be more than grateful.  I couldn't get the crown off, even with heat.  And I didn't want to twist it too far and cause damage, so I'd begun searching for a crown/stem combination, which was proving harder still.  For all that they're a very different kind of watch to work on, they do seem like rugged little beasts.  Kinda like the old dollar watches from earlier, you could bang 'em around a bit on the job and still know what time your shift would end.

Addendum: I have to say, it's a clever little set of ratchet pawls they use to wind it by the oscillating weight, where swinging it one way causes one pawl to catch while the other ratchets, and vice versa with the pawl on the other side.  A cheap and simple solution that accomplishes the same thing as a system of gears.  I don't often get to work on a Timex, so I was surprised by that little rocking contraption. 

Edited by KarlvonKoln