Fhf 186 repair

I bought another non runner, it had I was told a broken staff, so I thought I'd have a go, as I do. 

There are quite a few variations, so I've since found out, but then for a watch that was made from the 40s or there abouts there bound to be. 

My original broken watch has/had an overcoil hairspring, that was pretty bad, the staff was broken and the lower jewel and to make matters worse so was the escape wheel jewel hole and the bolt spring is broken. 

As luck would have it I've a donor, well bits of a donor, it consists of a tube with a disassembled balance wheel with a broken staff, and the movement in pieces. 

I haven't done a staff for years, so I actually enjoyed it, the balance wheel didn't exactly fit as I had to open the balance wheel to fit the new staff, but what a wonderful tight fit. 

Anyway as in the last picture you'll notice it's going like a train, not bad for a 80 year old piece. 

IMG_20210528_200715.jpg

IMG_20210528_200942.jpg

IMG_20210528_200819.jpg

IMG_20210528_200854.jpg

IMG_20210528_201020.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/28/2021 at 11:57 PM, antonyh said:

the balance wheel didn't exactly fit as I had to open the balance wheel to fit the new staff, 

Hi @antonyh,

How did you elaborate to open the balance wheel to get a tight fit, did you drill on a lathe?    would broaching free hand work? 

TIA

I simply opened up the wheel with a brooch a little at a time, got it so that I had to push it onto the staff, then tapped it into place. 

I really haven't done a lot of this sort of work for a while, sitting there with my Rhonda staff book out on the kitchen table, trying to get all the measurements correct. 

When I was looking through all the staffs that I have, I look on some of the smaller staffs from some of the smaller watches and think that a few years ago it was the norm to replace a staff, where as now days you would throw the movement away and just buy a new one. 

Ronda-Staff-Catalogue-Front-211x300.jpg

Edited by antonyh