Hi all. Just a quick intro.

I’ve been into repairing and wearing vintage mechanical movements for all of 2 months.

I have serviced and/or repaired about a dozen Chinese pin levers, quickly moving on to several vintage Seiko 7006 and not so vintage 7S26 movements. I also just completed a Timex Electronic.

My latest endeavor has been spending the last 2 days servicing and repairing a 1973 Seiko 5 Sports SpeedTimer Flyback Cheonograph (phew! Long name...). It did not run at all, crystal was shot and 1 pusher had been missing since at least 1985 (I’m sure). FYI: I’m sure that I’m the first person to ever press the start/stop button on the chrono. I’m 99% sure that I was the first person to open the back and the factory grease on the ratchet was untouched (pusher never pressed...can see it in the photo below).

I’m looking forward to sharing pictures and info from past and future rebuilds!

2C6A5998-F890-4F87-A003-624E1B8B8922.jpeg

71D8A1CF-DE68-46FD-AED3-5BF4558D3419.jpeg

Edited by PinLeverPete

• 3 weeks later...

Welcome to the forums @PinLeverPete. Enjoy.  🙂 

As an aside, you said you replaced one of the pushers on your watch. Where did you get the pusher from? My watch is trapped at the repairer that I used as the top pusher had the casing tube replaced and the entire pusher has since fallen out and I could not find it, so my watch is missing one which the repairer is trying to source. I am not sure if the ones on your watch are the same size but from the picture you posted, they look identical. (which in watchworld probably does not mean much)

Hello Michael and thanks for the welcome. 
Unfortunately, I don’t have good news for you. I tried about a dozen different pushers, some from Seikos and some “universal”. None fit. 

The case opening is 2.6mm in diameter and about 1.5mm deep. The pusher needs to be 4mm in diameter at the button side and 2.8mm at the case tube side for a tight friction fit. I don’t recall the overall length.

The pushers that I’m using are perfect except that the case tube/sleeve was 2.4mm instead of the required 2.8mm and was much too deep (protruded too far into the movement and the pusher sank too far into the case to be fully pressed). My solution was to use a tiny washer to space it out, then I rolled sleeves for the tubes out of 0.2mm stainless steel to bring the case side tube from 2.4 to 2.8mm. They are a very tight friction fit this way. They are further secured with UV epoxy.

Only time will tell how they will hold up, but they feel very solid and I use them a lot. The finished look is very nice, I think. Very hard to distinguish from the original pushers on these.

This probably won’t help your situation, but the pair I used was in this set (4 x 2.4): 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Stainless-Steel-Silver-Classical-Drive-in-Watch-Pusher-Button-Crown-Set-/302941703984?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286

Edited by PinLeverPete