Automatic winder project

This isn't a watch repair or restoration, but it is watch related, so here goes. While browsing YouTube I stumbled across an interesting 3D printer project for a watch winder. Even though the concept and mechanics were sound, I wasn't too impressed with the aesthetics, and the part that actually holds the watch is ... um ... functional at best.

So I did a bit of re-designing. If a picture is worth 1,000 words, a video must be worth at least 1,100. 😉 

The original video I found ...

My modifications.

I've already built a few of them and they actually work. The question is if it is worth it, so I broke out the cost.

The parts you must buy: (I bought cheap from AliExpress)

Parts/Cost 
Arduino Nano: $2.00 
Stepper Motor: $1.81 
Push Switch: $0.84 
10 mm x 50 mm Spring: $0.20 
M3 bolts (x2): $0.18 
M4 bolts (x4): $0.60 
Threaded inserts (X6): $0.54 
Bearings (x5): $1.12 

Total:  $7.29 

The cost to print (based on 1kg of filament costs ~$20 and electricity cost are ~$.06/KWhr)

Prints/Cost 
Bridge: $0.81 
Outer/inner rings: $0.99 
Mid ring: $0.40 
Plate: $0.67 
Base: $1.29 
Bottom: $0.72 
Arm: $0.07 

Total: $4.95 

So for $12.24 you can keep automatic watches wound. 

image.png

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
17 minutes ago, KierstenMata said:

I wouldn't trust my Patek Philippe to such a mechanism, and I wouldn't let my Tag Heuer and Breitling lie in a box made by a printer. I bought a jqueen watch winder for my entire collection, and I love how it works. The $60 winders do quite well, but not for long. After about six months, they start making an alarming noise and soon stop. There are cases where a $1,000 self-winding watch box isn't used, and it stands orphaned on a bookshelf gathering dust. A profitable purchase serves the buyer, not the seller.

Wow brains, class and beauty. Where did you come from ?  We are all eagerly waiting an introduction Kiersten !

30 minutes ago, KierstenMata said:

I wouldn't trust my Patek Philippe to such a mechanism, and I wouldn't let my Tag Heuer and Breitling lie in a box made by a printer. I bought a jqueen watch winder for my entire collection, and I love how it works. The $60 winders do quite well, but not for long. After about six months, they start making an alarming noise and soon stop. There are cases where a $1,000 self-winding watch box isn't used, and it stands orphaned on a bookshelf gathering dust. A profitable purchase serves the buyer, not the seller.

Ok Kiersten, we're going to need some details regarding what you are all about with watches. Evidently a luxury collector but what else ?  Is there any repairing ability inside you or are you just going to make us grumpy old men jealous over your collection. Spill sweetheart, spill please 😊

Edited by Neverenoughwatches
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, KierstenMata said:

I wouldn't trust my Patek Philippe to such a mechanism

Why? Do you think that components made by a 3D printer lack strength? Having worked for a high-tech automation manufacturer I can attest to the fact that 3D printed parts work just fine and for prototyping and/or building a one-of-a-kind, they are quite economic.

1 hour ago, KierstenMata said:

I wouldn't let my Tag Heuer and Breitling lie in a box made by a printer

OK, I agree with you on this, let's face it: 3D printed parts look cheesy and why make a 3D printed box for watches costing thousands?

I hand wind my IWC each evening. It's the only automatic I own and I rarely wear it these days. I have always felt that watch winders were a bit of a stretch.

I'm also curious why somebody with no previous interaction on this forum would choose to comment on a year-old thread on a DIY watch winder. So, Kiersten, please come back and introduce yourself and (at least) post a photo of your collection. It sounds like something we'd all like to see.

• Like 1

I just don't understand automatic winders. Why would anyone subject their watches to unnecessary wear?

When I'm not wearing my watches, I just let them wind down and come to a stop.

My only problem is with Seikos that do not have a manual winding mechanism. I hate having to spend a minute twirling, whirling and doing cartwheels to wind them up. I'm sure Seiko wearers have repetitive stress injuries to their wrists.

1 hour ago, HectorLooi said:

I just don't understand automatic winders. Why would anyone subject their watches to unnecessary wear?

When I'm not wearing my watches, I just let them wind down and come to a stop.

My only problem is with Seikos that do not have a manual winding mechanism. I hate having to spend a minute twirling, whirling and doing cartwheels to wind them up. I'm sure Seiko wearers have repetitive stress injuries to their wrists.

From ranfft 

Screenshot_20220611-035350_Chrome.jpg

2 hours ago, Paul80 said:

They were made for teenage boys 😎😉😉nudge nudge

And long time married men I’ll have you know 🤣🤣🤣

7 hours ago, HectorLooi said:

Come now Hector, we can all do with a little exercise in the mornings. Jumping jacks works for me and the watch I plan to wear that day 😛

23 hours ago, gbyleveldt said:

And long time married men I’ll have you know 🤣🤣🤣

Come now Hector, we can all do with a little exercise in the mornings. Jumping jacks works for me and the watch I plan to wear that day 😛

For a much better solution (excuse the pun, well somebody had to say it didn't they and who else would say it besides me). Finding the right woman to marry in the first place is really only the right answer 😊.

9 hours ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

For a much better solution (excuse the pun, well somebody had to say it didn't they and who else would say it besides me). Finding the right woman to marry in the first place is really only the right answer 😊.

Hahaha, I was just jesting. My wife is a godsend!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, grsnovi said:

If @KierstenMata ever comes back and looks at this thread she won't understand how we got so far off in the weeds. We may never see her watch collection...  😞 

Lol school boy humour the best. You may be right Gary. She doesnt know what shes missing haha. Kiersten my dear you need to revisit and have some fun with us and make a few grumpy old men happy. Haha

• Like 1

Yep, i'm with Hector on this one. why subject them to unnecessary wear, if you are only an occasional wearer of the watch.

However, having had the job of dismantelling a very expensive 6 watch, watch winder of my bosses, only to find that behind all that fancy wood, glass and velvet, there was a cheap tacky setup with no way of purchasing the replacement parts to fix it, as there is little to no consistancy on parts from manufacturer to manufacturer. I would like to take my hat off to eccentric whose $12 was well spent.