My 1st 3D printed part....

.... moved at 75% printing, or a good 6 minutes into printing. 2nd try, I lifted the nozzle a bit, set it hotter, and the bed warmer also. It still shifted at 85%. Knowing I was on the right way, finally set nozzle at 210C, bed at 60, and slowed it down to 90% and that made it complete

DSC_0445_copy_834x833.thumb.jpg.c92571f18cf540704974d3f4c31bc0e5.jpg

Not very happy with the top texture, but for the purpose it will do. It is the most mondane bracket one can imagine, I had asked for it at the plumbers shop and they said it was supposed to be orderable but it's never delivered - not a surprise really. Original is made of brass but being submerged for almost all the time it just rots over time. Will be happy to drop few of these to the guys at the shop which are always helpful. 

It would have been super easy to cut holes into any piece of plastic but it came to my mind I had left the printer unused 5 months after getting it. I have designed the part with FreeCAD under Linux, which is a bit of a burly and patched up software, but in the end does what is asked. 

Happy to have learned at least the basics of that will move on as soon the next occasion presents. 

That looks like under-extrusion, @jdm. Basically you are not pushing enough filament through the nozzle for the print head speed. There are a few reasons for this. One is temperature of your nozzle. I like to print PLA around 205°C through a standard 0.4mm nozzle. If the temperature is too low, then it can't melt fast enough.

Another reason could be a slipping extruder. If you are using the stock Ender 3 extruder, make sure the spring is seated correctly to put tension on the drive wheel to push the filament through. Speaking of extruders, your e-steps might be miscalibrated, although the Creality defaults should be fine. I think they should be around 95 with the stock extruder. If it is set to that and you're still getting under extrusion, you might want to check the calibration. How you do that is to measure a point on the filament 100mm from where it loads into the extruder. Then heat up the nozzle to print temperature and tell the extruder to push 100mm of filament. Ideally the mark should stop at the edge of the extruder. Off by a few mm is okay. More than 20mm and you have an issue.

Finally, you slicer settings might not be right for your setup.  I could send you my profile for the Ender-3 if you'd like. I get pretty decent prints from it.

• Thanks 1

Thank you for the tips e59! Unwilling to introduce more variables into the equation I went back to the basics after another failed attempt with the sample filament.
The bed was way too low, which is strange because I had set it right months ago and left untouched. So I did again the corners leveling run around and it printed much better. There is still a bit of under-filling but I think that must come from the model or slicer settings because the texture is on the center only while the contours are proper. 

DSC_0446_copy_618x836.thumb.jpg.f7385f2a03aaa01916d552ac74593ee0.jpg

Creality printers used to ship with weak bed springs that could be knocked out of adjustment with even just a little pressure. Even taking a print off the bed could move the settings. One of the first modifications most people do is to upgrade the bed springs to the yellow ones that are a lot stiffer. It keeps you from having to relevel the bed after every few prints.

• Thanks 1

@jdmSorry mate, that print is awful.  Something is wrong with your pinter or set up.  This is not what I would expect from an Ender.

You should spend a bit of time setting this up or else you'll only be disappointed with everything you print.

If you drop the file here a few of us can print it so you can compare what it should look like.

2 hours ago, AshF said:

@jdmSorry mate, that print is awful.  Something is wrong with your pinter or set up.  This is not what I would expect from an Ender.

You should spend a bit of time setting this up or else you'll only be disappointed with everything you print.

If you drop the file here a few of us can print it so you can compare what it should look like.

Thank you for your observation but as mentioned above I believe have solved my issue by leveling the bed, with just some meshing on the white parts only, left by either FreeCAD or Cura. I am printing for function not for looks, and happy enough with what I got for now.

On 5/24/2021 at 3:04 AM, jdm said:

I have designed the part with FreeCAD under Linux, which is a bit of a burly and patched up software, but in the end does what is asked. 

Did you mean FreeCAD or Linux 😆

You may want to check if you using the latest version of FreeCAD? I believe it is v0.19 at this point in time. Interface takes a bit of getting used to, but it is a very capable CAD tool.

1 hour ago, Zero said:

Did you mean FreeCAD or Linux 😆

Both. We old hands still use the word "under xxx" to mean "with the xxx O.S."

You may want to check if you using the latest version of FreeCAD? I believe it is v0.19 at this point in time. Interface takes a bit of getting used to, but it is a very capable CAD tool.

Yes. I did not wanted to take on Fusion 360 and the associated complexity and learning curve. I'm OK with a more basic software and very grateful to its developers. 

51 minutes ago, LittleWatchShop said:

I love FreeCAD

It is amazing how far it has come from the early 2000s. The Python integration really takes it FreeCAD to another level. As @jdm also said, I'm grateful to the design team.

On 5/28/2021 at 1:41 AM, jdm said:

I did not wanted to take on Fusion 360 and the associated complexity and learning curve.

I tried Fusion 360 and gave up immediately when I saw the nag screen 😅

Checked the Autodesk forums, apparently it doesn't go away.

• Like 1

On 5/27/2021 at 10:41 AM, jdm said:

Yes. I did not wanted to take on Fusion 360 and the associated complexity and learning curve. I'm OK with a more basic software and very grateful to its developers.

if you are looking for something is free and easy to use this would work. Yes it's aimed at kids but lots of people use it kids of all ages.

https://www.tinkercad.com/

16 minutes ago, JohnR725 said:

if you are looking for something is free and easy to use this would work. Yes it's aimed at kids but lots of people use it kids of all ages.

https://www.tinkercad.com/

I tried it for 20 minutes before FreeCAD and remained disgusted, I wish I could have my time back. Not because it's for kids, but because it's simply the worst piece of browser-based software I have ever seen. There is a window that comes up with dimensions that are different from the actual "drawing", when someone asked about that he was told "yes we know, just don't look at it". Then add that in the end it doesn't do anything. Smart move by their "authors" that have sold it for millions.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jdm said:

I tried it for 20 minutes before FreeCAD and remained disgusted, I wish I could have my time back. Not because it's for kids, but because it's simply the worst piece of browser-based software I have ever seen. There is a window that comes up with dimensions that are different from the actual "drawing", when someone asked about that he was told "yes we know, just don't look at it". Then add that in the end it doesn't do anything. Smart move by their "authors" that have sold it for millions.

that really wasn't a review I was hoping for but okay you're right it's not perfect. On the other hand you made me feel really good today about myself I figured out how to use it I figured out how to make things. It's not perfect in fact what is perfect for 3-D printing?

the problem with 3-D printer software at least for design is? in the early days there was no 3-D printer software so things were adapted from other stuff. That made things at least my point of view very awkward they weren't designed for engineering stuff they weren't designed well they really weren't designed for 3-D printing stuff. That made them very very frustrating and bizarre use for 3-D printing.

so while it sucks I can make things and even more important it allows you to edit existing STL files so I can download something someone else made that wasn't quite right for my application and modify it which not all programs will do.

then I see that no one mentioned this program? I have edited existing files that people of generated for download I find it frustrating to use because I'm not a visual program from script-based text. Which is probably why I was able to adapt that other program because visually I could see it here it's all in script until you run it and then magically it appears. but at least because all script-based you can go back and edit anywhere you want at any time as opposed to combining objects together and not being able to go back and uncombined later on which is kinda stupid.

http://openscad.org/

31 minutes ago, JohnR725 said:

because all script-based you can go back and edit anywhere you want at any time as opposed to combining objects together and not being able to go back and uncombined later on which is kinda stupid.

FreeCAD does that with Python, which has become the standard universal scripting language. Worth to learn at least a bit of it. https://wiki.freecadweb.org/Scripted_objects

the title in my reading what I think I'm reading ? Scripted objects you don't get a visual editor? It appears to be script based that sucks I'm a visual person I can't visualize a script it sucks why can't we have a program that I can visually draw with it?

12 minutes ago, JohnR725 said:

the title in my reading what I think I'm reading ? Scripted objects you don't get a visual editor? It appears to be script based that sucks I'm a visual person I can't visualize a script it sucks why can't we have a program that I can visually draw with it?

FreeCAD has of course a visual regular CAD 3D UI, scripting is having a somewhat simple program, possibly derived from an existing object, which then re-creates the object. That enables full parametrizing as explained in the article linked above, you can always visualize and edit the object interactively.

• Like 1

FreeCAD can drive/run openscad interface (I think...I see it in the drop down).  Never used it. I have used openscad standalone a couple of times and see its value, but I return to either Part or Part Designer in FreeCAD.  I also use the spreadsheet feature in FreeCAD so that I can parameterize my designs.  This is useful for things like movement holders.

Editing STL files would be nice.  I have tried a few times with virtually no success.  I can live without that feature.

On 6/2/2021 at 2:42 AM, JohnR725 said:

Lets say you want to draw a ball with a radius of 10mm.

In 3D design work, there are two ways to do this:
Method 1: Use a visual 3D editor and draw this ball by clicking around until you get the ball you want on the screen. Time taken: 1-2 mins
Method 2: Write a line of code that basically says "i want a ball with a radius of 10mm". The ball will pop into the screen. Time taken: 10 sec (the time taken to type the line)

For beginners, method 1 is easier as it helps with learning. Method 1 is also better for artwork/sculpting professionals. However, if the design is complex, method 2 is a better option. Especially if it has thousands/millions of details, making it hard to visualize. I use method 2 all the time for electronic circuit design, its not 3D design but still the same concept.

That said, yes it does suck 😆 not gonna lie.

21 minutes ago, Zero said:

I use method 2 all the time for electronic circuit design

RTL vs schematics of gates...I assume.  Not quite the same.  Writing the script to do complex operations requires some spacial visualization operations in your head.  Fortunately with openscad (as I recall) you get a rendering of your code so you can see if you got it right.  I think both methods are valid approaches and each have their benefits.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Zero said:

For beginners, method 1 is easier as it helps with learning. Method 1 is also better for artwork/sculpting professionals. However, if the design is complex, method 2 is a better option. Especially if it has thousands/millions of details, making it hard to visualize. I use method 2 all the time for electronic circuit design, its not 3D design but still the same concept.

my complaints still stands which is for me I can't visualize a script. It's not how my brain works which is why the visual Tinkercad I can work with. I do need a design parts or edit existing parts because I can see what I'm doing versus trying to figure out what the heck a script is telling me. Basically it's just a personal thing.

1 hour ago, JohnR725 said:

my complaints still stands which is for me I can't visualize a script. 

Why the complaint. Scripting is an optional feature not needed to desing or modify a part. FreeCAd let you visualize, modify, totate and all these things same or better than any other 3D CAD. If you never tried it, I recommend that you do. 

35 minutes ago, jdm said:

Scripting is an optional feature not needed to desing or modify a part. FreeCAd let you visualize, modify, totate and all these things same or better than any other 3D CAD. If you never tried it, I recommend that you do. 

it looks like I must have agreed with you that the program looked promising? out of curiosity I just now did a search of this computer? The earliest reference was 2013 probably installed in another computer. then it looks like I installed it in this computer in 2017. So I've downloaded the newest version when I get a chance I'll look at it.