More clock questions as I am still getting used to what certain brands cost

Michael1962

I can't add anything about your post on the clock you looked at. If you see anything always ask about it take photos if you can, it is most important to see the movement, dial and case, make sure it has a pendulum and post them here that way I should be able to help you.

I know. I have no idea why I didn't take a photo. The clock was in a booth in the shop and likely not the property of the person running the shop. Not siure how I will go getting a look at the movement if I go back and have a second look at it. I'll try and find a photo online to show you what it looked like. Pendulum and everything was there. It was up high so I could not see if the key was in the bottom of the case, but looking at the clock, I would imagine it is there.

It is a mantle clock and not a wall clock. Looked very much like this, but I recall the case being black and not really showing any grain of the wood like this one does.

iu.jpeg.2d6cfa89661dfc19754f88bf852a1566.jpeg

Hi @oldhippy, I got these from them today. The odd view of the movement is from the bottom once the front door was opened. The clock is in a stall in a larger shop so it will have to be the stall owner who removes the back. It is screwed on. There is also another clock that I didn't see, but the asking price is too much I think. I have photos of that one as well.

This is the $195 clock.

IMG_7214.thumb.jpeg.0800b82814718504cedc1fdbc8479024.jpegIMG_7216.thumb.jpeg.d2787f7a94b853e84600865c22b578e2.jpegIMG_7217.thumb.jpeg.d21bddefc564ccc5d8542aa9bb6e3acf.jpegIMG_7215.thumb.JPEG.57fec9e662e5cc67c3bf96a8356439ed.JPEGIMG_7218.thumb.JPEG.43582f256c92402811931553af58e2bb.JPEG

This is the other clock, but the price on it is $290.

67374862508__2CCB12F2-682C-4D5D-9FDA-F5AC7DE91E77.thumb.jpeg.99b922d6bb0860cadb913402f53c5bd7.jpeg67374861513__30877020-7F86-4AB6-9EC8-A465FE60C63D.thumb.jpeg.b2ca4f7b8f88c1c383db4fe56c9d7fe2.jpeg67374864222__D6B0DAA4-711B-48A9-9483-E852EFAE480D.thumb.jpeg.b61793dcf35d53bcf8d4ccd2699237b1.jpeg67374865781__B56524BE-9294-4515-A69D-1CE14915ED32.thumb.jpeg.40f2e82fbf41f9f23c4114190043d297.jpegIMG_7212.thumb.jpeg.ddc74df78e6803afa5b7558226f2acf6.jpeg

The clock is called a Tribune that’s the name given it by Ansonia. I can’t find the exact clock label, but it certainly is about 120 years old, so it is a proper antique. Typical clock movement of an American clock striking movements. Very large long springs with the skeleton movement. When taking one of these movements apart you need the mainspring clamps. Whatever you do never bend any of the wires that work the strike side if you do you could end up have a breakdown. The movements have lantern pinions which will take the force and wear of these huge powerful springs, so worn holes are common purely because the power drives them beyond normal stoppage to the pinion leaf movements, so be prepared for a lot of re-bushing. I can see a lot of oil on one of the movement pillars. The case looks in good condition, the dial has a little staining but not that bad. Spares are readily available from all good clock material suppliers.

The Sessions Chester is later they started in 1903 I have found one dated 1904. Again Typical movement (see above) No way has it just been serviced, it might have been washed out in petrol. Some tend to fetch a slightly higher price because the case normally has ornate fixings on their cases.

If you have never serviced one of these American clock movements be careful because they can be buggers. There are many videos on Youtube to help you. If you need help that I can help you you know I will.         

Edited by oldhippy

OH is as usual spot on with his Analysis.. I have repaired/serviced quite a few  Antonia’s luckily not with worn lantern pinions but always worn bushes. I suspect the material used was inferior to French movements. 

I'll give English pounds on what I think they would be here in England. The one you like £140. The other £160 that would be Ebay prices, they are a lot higher then what you would pay at an auction house. Auction house prices about £80 each. 

When and where will the sale be. I could spend days looking at all that lot. Just looking at those few photos this is the star of the show. It's a French alarm in a nice case you don't see them in that type of case they are normally just in a round drum case that is why they are known as a French drum clock. 

0EA83D21-A840-4DB9-8BF8-5B85B84135A2.thumb.jpeg.c48cb803ccdb1e87e4e4199bfca88221.jpg

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

When and where will the sale be. I could spend days looking at all that lot. Just looking at those few photos this is the star of the show. It's a French alarm in a nice case you don't see them in that type of case they are normally just in a round drum case that is why they are known as a French drum clock. 

0EA83D21-A840-4DB9-8BF8-5B85B84135A2.thumb.jpeg.c48cb803ccdb1e87e4e4199bfca88221.jpg

Unknown, he's a German living in England.  The clocks are in Germany, he went over a few weeks ago and brought some clocks/ watches back.  Next time he goes, he'll bring some more. Selling on ebay but I'm pretty sure he would sell to you at a reasonable price, as he would like the clocks to be loved.  If you want any, let me know and I'll message him. He sold me the job lot cheaply as he knows I'll cherish them.  Seriously he wouldn't give them away but he let them go cheaply for a good home. 

Just now, RichardHarris123 said:

Unknown, he's a German living in England.  The clocks are in Germany, he went over a few weeks ago and brought some clocks/ watches back.  Next time he goes, he'll bring some more. Selling on ebay but I'm pretty sure he would sell to you at a reasonable price, as he would like the clocks to be loved.  If you want any, let me know and I'll message him. He sold me the job lot cheaply as he knows I'll cherish them.  Seriously he wouldn't give them away but he let them go cheaply for a good home. 

PS, he's struggling pricing the items. 

You could ask him about the one I like. I would if possible to see the movement. The two French portico clocks as well, there the two that are standing behind the one I like. Again I'd like to see the movements. I know what they are like but still need a look. 

15 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

You could ask him about the one I like. I would if possible to see the movement. The two French portico clocks as well, there the two that are standing behind the one I like. Again I'd like to see the movements. I know what they are like but still need a look. 

Will do, not sure when he is back in Germany. 

1 minute ago, RichardHarris123 said:

Have a look at my new post, I need some help. 

2 minutes ago, Michael1962 said:

@RichardHarris123Is there a sawtooth gravity clock in there by any chance? A lot of 400 day clocks as well.

@oldhippy must roll his eyes at me as I keep looking at clocks that are surpassed by much better, and more accurate, makes and models. 🙄

No idea, I haven't touched clocks yet.  Time to start learning. 

I might be interested in a pocket watch as well, though I am not sure what brands to look at. I am rather taken by some of the Walthams that have the ornate engraving on the plates. Probably a moot point as it doesn't make the watch perform any better, but it certainly makes it a point of discussion.

I think some Elgins are engraved the same way as well.

I am not sure if the railway grade watches are engraved in this way, but I may be interested in a railway grade watch instead of the above if your friend has one in that collection.

I used to have model trains as a boy and the history of these watches is something that I like, even given that I would not be able to find out where a watch was ever used, or its provenance.

22 hours ago, RichardHarris123 said:

Feast your eyes on these, they belonged to my friends later farther.  Not great photos and no movements yet. They will all be for sale sometime in the future 

800EEF40-CCD7-4C41-AA1F-80F3C6B8A63A.jpeg

523A0E91-22E7-4941-84FF-DFA00DBAC0F9.jpeg

0EA83D21-A840-4DB9-8BF8-5B85B84135A2.jpeg

40703AC8-463B-4937-82D6-14B0CA2C1AAA.jpeg

202322B9-8885-4E62-A137-9812F86D433D.jpeg

BF30E3A4-E326-4A91-9E12-4A7B4C6D7517.jpeg

94F9CA14-878A-45D6-B271-9A2FE38F6601.jpeg

B5333D63-56A1-4419-8081-6A9D7581CEC9.jpeg

Rich. What a fantastic collection, his father must have been very passionate about it. Shame I'm Not into clocks at the moment. 

17 hours ago, RichardHarris123 said:

Have a look at my new post, I need some help. 

What you working on Rich ?

50 minutes ago, Michael1962 said:

I might be interested in a pocket watch as well, though I am not sure what brands to look at. I am rather taken by some of the Walthams that have the ornate engraving on the plates. Probably a moot point as it doesn't make the watch perform any better, but it certainly makes it a point of discussion.

I think some Elgins are engraved the same way as well.

I am not sure if the railway grade watches are engraved in this way, but I may be interested in a railway grade watch instead of the above if your friend has one in that collection.

I used to have model trains as a boy and the history of these watches is something that I like, even given that I would not be able to find out where a watch was ever used, or its provenance.

Most American P/W have decorative engraving patterns 

1 hour ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Rich. What a fantastic collection, his father must have been very passionate about it. Shame I'm Not into clocks at the moment. 

What you working on Rich ?

A Smiths Deluxe with a broken balance staff and I'm going to start the pocket watch.  You? 

13 minutes ago, RichardHarris123 said:

A Smiths Deluxe with a broken balance staff and I'm going to start the pocket watch.  You? 

I love smith's watches. The deluxe, astral, imperial, national 15 and 17. Not so much the empires, they are sort of attractively rough and ready inside, bit like me lol. I was given an astral last week. I dont know what to do yet,ive barely touched anything for a month now as i wanted a good break from them. But i have about thirty wristwatches to have a crack at. A lot of Oris. I do need to revisit a smiths diver i have, that needs a new crystal and a slightly damaged bezel that i just cant find a replacement for anywhere, and also a very poorly oris pointer that needs a hair  (spring ) transplant and new dial feet that ive been trying to learn to repair, and a couple of other minor issues. A quartz zenith port royal to reattach a new quartz oscillator to. A lathe to strip down and service, so i can start learning to repivot. Haha. Thats just for starters, its a good job I'm semi retired. Big kitchen refurb to start next week though so I'll be busy with that for a few weeks. Couldn't turn it down as the profit was too good to miss out on. 

• Like 1

Just going back to the two clocks I have looked at, can anyone give me a reason as to why the dial bezel has two holes near the screws that are holding it to the case. Why make two more holes when there were holes already?  And then just use black wood screws which are just going to rust and look like crap? I am trying to think of a way to correct this if I buy it? 4 brass cheesehead screws or forget it and buy the more expensive Sessions clock?