More clock questions as I am still getting used to what certain brands cost

Michael1962

19 minutes ago, clockboy said:

This clock is what is known as a marriage the movement is not in the original case. I have encountered a few french clocks as such. Lucky for the purchaser the seller is not aware of what is being sold. 

I don't think it is. Studying the case and the way the movement is fitted it looks good to me. But only two photos is not a lot to go on. Still that movement is extremely good. I don't think our friend will be disappointed   

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. I have some work to do it yard first, but then I will get some photos up.

The $20 clock. It is really nice. The only thing with dial is that it shows some degradation over time. I have read on here where people talk about resolving a dial. What does that entail and is that what this possibly needs or do I leave it alone?

The movement is a W&H movement and is really nice. The front side of the clock is quite heavy. You could topple it forward if you were not careful moving it.

I like it that much, I won’t be selling it. The plan at this point is service, clean up and give to one of my children as a gift. Just not sure which one yet.

I agree with @oldhippy that it is not a marriage clock. There is no evidence that I could see ( I have only looked briefly) to suggest that another movement was ever screwed into the case. 

Believe it or not, but I removed the pendulum to drive home and the clock must have started ticking due to the lesser weight. Every so often on the trip home, it would chime away sitting in the passenger footwell. Nice.

Now that I have it at home, it does the following,

It chimes on the 1/4, 1/2 and 3/4 and strikes on the hour. The strike hammer stays in contact with the coil that it hits and deadens the sound after it strikes. I presume it should hit the coil and then sit just off it so that the coil can continue to ring?

The movement is in great condition as is the rest of the clock. It's a keeper.

Any advice on resilvering the dial?

I can't comment on the movement until I see the workings of it. If the dial has wax filled markings which to me it looks like it has you can re-silver the dial. You can buy all that is needed in a kit from any good clock suppliers.

Here's two videos on re silvering 

• Like 1

I am really happy with this clock. It has sat on the bench in the study and is happily ticking away. Hasn't missed a beat. Did have to silence the chimes etc as the wife began complaining. Just wait until I get a lot of clocks and they are all running. LOL

I am not sure whether to leave it ticking away or stop it and remove the mainspring power when I dismantle it? Thoughts?

Never been more excited about an endeavour that I was looking forward to starting.

Thanks for the silvering videos @oldhippy.

I played around with the mantle clock today. Darn thing keeps ticking away, even if I stop it. It just restarts. It is out of beat. Really easy to hear now that I have half a clue what to listen for.

The chiming and the striking is quite interesting.

1/4 hour - first 4 notes of what sounds very much like a Winchester chime.

1/2 hour - first 8 notes of the above.

3/4 hour - a different pattern of 12 notes that I have not heard before.

Hour - just strikes the hour. No chiming.

I can take a video of it, but I don't think we can load videos onto the forum directly. Do we have to post them to something like YouTube first and then link from there?

On 6/28/2021 at 3:27 AM, jdm said:

They are the ones that do not use sniping. As long it's an open auction nobody can do anything to stop the from becoming excited and paying stupid prices. In the world of "serious auctioning", e.g. public tenders or forced liquidations, the only price made public is the winning, after the auction ends. That's not how Ebay works, of course.

Think about it this way, it's the only thing that protects the your maximum offer from becoming visible at some point and be outbid, and to make it exactly at the best (last possible)  time without you having to take care of it, so it's actually extremely useful. All serious buyers use it.

I do "manual" sniping.  My strategy is this: Save searches I am interested in, as soon as an item comes up for auction, I bid--generally this is just a few dollars.  Then I watch it get bid up until the last 10 minutes or so--then I decide if it is too rich for me.  If it is still in my range, I place a bid in the last five seconds.

A couple of times I have been burned by an automaton sniper.  I know this because the winning bid is exactly $5 above my bid...down to the cent. 

If everyone used sniping, I think winning bids would be lower.  It is the long drawn out bidding war that drives the price up...but of course...that is the idea behind auctions.

I buy a lot of stuff on ebay and on average, I probably pay a bit more than I should.  I have gotten a few good deals though. 

18 hours ago, LittleWatchShop said:

Then I watch it get bid up until the last 10 minutes or so--then I decide if it is too rich for me.

That works if the closing day and time and is within your availability, and you're ok to interrupt something else at that time. Not everyone has this convenience. 

Sniping removes these constrains, and also prevent your own any bidding frenzy at the last minute.

Both are very good things I'd say.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, oldhippy said:

The most common is Westminster first quarter 1 2 3 4 last quarter on the a quarter too is also the same as the first quarter 1 2 3 4  

Our grandfather clock is first 4 notes of Westminster chimes at the first 1/4, 8 notes on the 1/2 hour, 12 notes on the 3/4 hour and then the full 16 notes plus strike on the hour.

This little mantle clock is different. Maybe it isn't meant to be? I'm not sure. I'll just let it run down and then look at it once I get to it.

This is the full sequence:

1st. Quarter: 4,3,2,1.

2nd Quarter: 2,4,3,1.    2,3,4,2.

3rd Quarter: 4,2,3,1.     1;3,4,2.      4,3,2,1.

4th Quarter: 2,4,3,1.     2,3,4,2.      4,2,3,1.      1,3,4,2. 

More info:

The Westminster chimes are the same notes first used on the clock in the University Church tower of St. Mary,Cambridge,England,and in 1859, selected for the St. Stephen,s Clock tower in the Houses of Parliament London..

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hmmm.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/265531281616?mkevt=1&mkpid=0&emsid=e11010.m1951.l7534&mkcid=7&ch=osgood&euid=903fcebbf81e4faaa6868fa3832d7320&bu=43895801485&ut=RU&osub=-1~1&crd=20220209200906&segname=11010&sojTags=ch%3Dch%2Cbu%3Dbu%2Cut%3Dut%2Cosub%3Dosub%2Ccrd%3Dcrd%2Csegname%3Dsegname%2Cchnl%3Dmkcid

Too much?

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/284642740582?_trkparms=amclksrc%3DITM%26aid%3D1110006%26algo%3DHOMESPLICE.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D237042%26meid%3D29624a326f8f472fb937627264ea50be%26pid%3D101195%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D265531281616%26itm%3D284642740582%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D0%26pg%3D2047675%26algv%3DSimplAMLv9PairwiseWebMskuAspectsV202110NoVariantSeedWithTargetEncode&_trksid=p2047675.c101195.m1851&amdata=cksum%3A28464274058229624a326f8f472fb937627264ea50be|enc%3AAQAGAAACIAxbyF9ZGd5FE2pReR7FqDLF9IedjHkSBiZqpAmpXqlP72g8TzQPbs9lhCK4uA6nQWVuP1Kzkzuv27wEhBsAA%2FSlyMhLz9nD8UzN1%2BTk22pMvx4OLErYePajrgNZB6HV%2BhCDUaD3dNdZRtuqquQ1KF24ZTtg71Kb5shvWLmH6BdPTsHIle6MubLod1fatVq1hSuXrxh3Y35d1TuGRVyiFrUxUaFECiDuyX%2BUZrpfd8vGxCEEcQPy6L6e57Byto%2FOT7MwjxU4TyHMmCPuCEvtgjL2Ko6c1YMSU4KxabW8FaqT9PtyddtZlAbrV8jSZy2JAjWH7PSka43EPVi6waGGWOng8ZX2VZLNY%2FxVGZyDAgHSBuyvCMd9vwhJr9aJ79WttWXzftwNlFQs7i0k3sAugcsA9%2Fcx6ZH0kuCAB%2FONHBKpQc%2FK5P8zRSGV%2BFkA6ZiDveTNmQ8Xph14xbWkoT2KsClkkHIvhDJmVT2Uv75Zuac795TyvZ%2BFpwjhoqfLTzd7V8UtSLCDwB5vRGHXy35KKB5lRt4cfWQs%2FAJaAqAvCTIHIxwtGy6c4pcjGAcmb9FHukjat07UZS4Z%2BBze%2FYJTJQB4bnwO5E9wUdCFg695tl3B9Pb8kHE%2BOD1nL6PTlCiuzWKBLmS8CVgp0W2rV1tcwMuSgTDBPs4pfKk2rMbToZc%2BDAFoEcm1v36Qp2tlno66okz%2BJOA042lzXt1ut0H8Qpo%3D|ampid%3APL_CLK|clp%3A2047675

• 2 months later...

Was out at a place called Daylesford today and saw a rather nice Ansonia in a collectibles shop. $195, but as usual I have no idea as to whether that is reasonable. I know it isn't a gingerbread clock as it doesn't have all of that woodwork around the case. It has a painted case which shows some ageing. Could not see the movement as the back of the clock is screwed on. What I could see from the front through the glass looked quite clean though.

I keep seeing clocks and thinking 'I could handle buying that.', but then I end up thinking 'I don't really want to get rid of this if I get it.'

Not really conducive to making a quid is it? 😅

Edited by Michael1962