More clock questions as I am still getting used to what certain brands cost

Michael1962

Hi everyone.

Can anyone give me their opinions on these?

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/lindfield/antiques/antique-session-clocks/1274222221 Both of these need to be serviced according to the seller.

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/brunswick/antiques/art-deco-mantle-clock-smith-enfield-clock-working-clock-we-can-deliver/1274171316 working.

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/aroona/other-antiques-art-collectables/antique-clock/1274053814 not working.

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/east-victoria-park/antiques/antique-vintage-mantle-clock-made-in-england-1940/1274031278 not working.

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/creswick/antiques/antique-gilbert-mantle-clock-/1273944177 runs slow. Face is badly damaged though.

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/pennant-hills/antiques/antique-pendulum-clock/1273918159 Not sure if working.

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/st-marys/other-antiques-art-collectables/antique-vintage-clock-not-working-wire-broken-only/1273840337

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/keperra/antiques/antique-art-deco-mantle-clock-with-key-pendulum/1273797126 Not sure if working.

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/seacliff-park/antiques/antique-sessions-8-day-chime-clock/1273729412 working.

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/maribyrnong/antiques/antique-vintage-wall-clock-guenuine/1271663113 not working.

There are heaps of others on there. Not sure why I have never found them all before?

I suppose you could say that my intention is to 'flip' the clocks. Get them, restore/repair, and hopefully sell. I just am not sure of what is a reasonable price over here in Australia. (learning)

Be careful with that 400 day they can be a nightmare to repair. If someone says not sure if it works take it from me it doesn't. The last one has case parts missing. All the others look as if it's a gamble, don't forget such things as broken springs and bent wheels, teeth missing, impossible to tell by photos. Price if this was in England I wouldn't go any more then £50 each. It's a good way to gain experience. If you only have a little knowledge start with one of the strikes, I noticed a Smith's Enfield that would be a good start, they are plentiful and you should be able to pick up spare parts on ebay, having the pendulum is also a must.  

What sort of quality are the first clocks? The American Sessions clocks?

Those two could be had for possibly less than $200. I have just asked whether they both have their pendulums and winding keys. Have also asked for some more photos of the cases and movements.

Edited by Michael1962

Hi  As the AUS$ is equal to 0.55 english I would say they are a little over priced  in comparison to the UK but that all depends on the availability ,  I would agree with OH and stick to the likes of the Enfield for starters depending on experience and as mentioned all the relavant  parts are there, 

12 minutes ago, Michael1962 said:

$200 isn't an 'each' price. That is the price for both together. Is that still too much?

I would say so.

Forgot to mention with repairing those American strike movements you are going to need a pair of mainspring clamps. 

You are correct. I have to buy myself some of those. 2 sets I presume?

I also have all the parts to make my own Joe Collin's winder. My mate up the road is going to laser cut the timber parts for me so that will make that bit easy. I just have to find where to purchase some mainspring sleeves. I can't seem to find them in Australia. Who d've thunk that? If I can't find anyone that has them, I'll ring around some of the steel companies and see if I can get some tube offcuts and make my own. Not sure what the material is though? Anyone know?

Second link above: (Smiths) The seller is asking $249 for the clock, but has the comment 'make an offer' on it. I can't see an 'offer' of less than $200 being accepted?

Fourth link above: (Smiths?) Is this the one that you are referring to @oldhippy? As it is in WA, I would have to get it sent over. Must admit that I am not sure how risky that is nowadays. Packages marked 'Fragile' appear to get drivers that are part-timing as shot put athletes.

I also just got some photos back from the person selling the 400 day clock. It is really immaculate other than the wire being broken. I am sorely tempted. I really love challenges. (idiot. I know.)

These prices are far less than others that I have seen here in Oz.

Edited by Michael1962

This is the Smith's one.  $200 is around £176 that is way over, to me that is a waste of money. 

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/brunswick/antiques/art-deco-mantle-clock-smith-enfield-clock-working-clock-we-can-deliver/1274171316

If you are going to get the 400 Day one you will need this, it's the bible of 400 day clock repairing you cannot aford to be without it. The Horolovar 400 Day Clock Repair Guide Book

I agree with oldhippy the Smiths would be a good one to start with as parts could be sourced. The issue is the asking price in UK money I would not pay more than £50. The 400 day clocks require everything to be perfect and for a first clock repair  it would be a huge learning curve and frustrating. 
I would look for a clock that has only two mainsprings or as a first attempt one with just one mainspring. Also look for clocks that state they are running.

So I kept my wallet in my pocket for now. I have three clocks of my own that need to be restored. Then, hopefully my wife will let me tackle her very old clock that was her great grandfathers. Then I have to look at the Howard Miller that we have as I had removed the movement to oil it (No. I'm bad. It was done before I had any knowledge of disassembling and reassembling) and it now strikes and chimes when the minute hand is about 3 minutes past the hour or 15, 30 & 45 minute marks. I am not sure what to check as yet, but I cannot recall anything moving as I was incredibly careful.

Obviously not enough though.

• Like 1

Hi everyone.

Another 400 day clock. A Schatz this time. Is it a good deal for the price? Postage with a courier to get it to me will cost $13.50 which includes $200 insurance.

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/skye/collectables/schatz-and-sohne-400-days-anniversary-dome-brass-clock/1270395263

I am also continuing to look for a cheap Smiths Enfield clock that is running.

Question on 400 day clocks. Do all of these clocks have a sleeve (not the correct term I would suggest) that covers (guards?) the wire that supports the pendulum? I have seen some photos of a Schatz and Sohne clock and the wire is uncovered all the way to the top of the clock.

Some of the really old ones don't. Most of the newer ones do. I think they get removed because people think they might rub against the thin s/spring that's how they get lost or misplaced. I've had them where that part is missing but the screws are still there. 

Thanks for that @oldhippy.

I looked at some of the UK prices for clocks and by the time I look at that plus freight if I was to buy one over there and ship it, by the time all of that is done, the price is just a bit less than buying one here. If it was a 400 day clock, I wouldn't trust the dome to get here in one piece.

I found another Schatz in Tasmania. $130 but no key. The fellow that owns it winds it with a universal key. It is this clock that does not have the cover. I just love the pendulum motion in these.

I can't wait to get my grandmothers Hettich finished for the same reason. 🙂 

Edited by Michael1962

Well from everything that I can find, the price of any second-hand clock here in Australia is going to be a fair bit more than what you have to pay in the UK.

400 day clocks - not working command about $100. Working, but in need of servicing? $130~150. Going etc. $400+

Mantle clocks. I have seen everything from $100 through to $1,300

Longcase clocks? $2,500~$5,000

French clocks (which I'll admit are not my thing) - Wood $150+, marble or onyx $500~$2,000

Ansonia gingerbread clocks? - $300+

I have even seen a folder travellers clock for $75 over here.

I think that, compared to prices in the UK, I just need to suck it up.

Yes they are more expensive in Australia than the UK, but you should be able to pick up basic Ansonia's for less than $300.

Go find your local auction house and keep an eye on it, most auction houses usually have atleast 1 or 2 mantle clocks in them every auction and you will probably get one for a better price there than someone selling 'grandma's' clock on Gumtree that they think must be worth a fortune because 'its old'.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Try your local newspaper. A word of warning about auctions.  Go and see how they operated, if its clocks you are after watch the bidders as some times they will have what is called a ringer and they push the price up with no intention of buying. Go a few times and see if it’s the same faces. Look at what you are after and spend time making sure its complete and not some bodged up thing. Ask about the piece; get as much info as you can. Set yourself a budget and don’t go over it, it is very easy to get carried away and you could end up spending money you can’t afford. I know about auctions because in my field of horology I used to be an adviser to a well know antique shop in Devon.  

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Michael1962 said:

I must admit that I don't know where I would find my local auction house? I found a few online, but the prices on there appear to be high as well.

I still find ebay the best source for antique clocks. Most of mine were bought from sellers in the UK. Even with shipping costs, they are still cheaper than getting them locally.

Unlike the UK, there is a paucity of clocks here in Singapore. Probably stems from some old Chinese superstition of giving/buying clocks.

So far, all my clocks arrived safe and sound, including 3 anniversary clocks. Only 1 suffered some damaged when ebay, not the seller, repacked the box after postal inspection.

But in recent weeks, prices for clocks and watches seem higher than a couple of years ago. I blame the pandemic for giving too much spare time to idle hands.