Mark

New Video. Repairing A Vintage Gold Watch Case

Another great video, thanks Mark. Never tried the soldering paste and looked quite handy to use. Defo liked the torch, really nice bit of kit and will be looking on ebay

I have a slightly outdated book 'Practical Jewellery Repair' by James Hickling, his illustrations and explanations on soldering were slightly different to this, it seemed more difficult. 

Is this gold brazing paste a fairly recent invention? Or am I as ignorant to jewellery repair as I think I am.

Now this is something I can do!

I have made a bit of silver jewellery over the years - using silver solder and flux rather than paste - plus a bit of brazing even further back.

You do make it look easy though Mark.

Nice job Mark!!  I've been wanting to try this on a solid gold ladies watch that has a hairline crack in the case.  I just don't have the proper torch fittintgs yet.  I have a large torch leftover from my autobody days, but my tips are a bit too big for this delicate type of work.

Again Nice Job Mark!

That's excellent - and you make it look so easy! The watch looks very similar to the little 9ct gold cushion cased Timor I bought recently - perhaps a little larger...

• Similar Content

• By Marc5555
      So ive been wanting to build my own watch for a while after having worked on my own watches for quite some time. The only apprehension i have is how does one size a dial to fit a case. Lets say i have a miyota 8215 a 41 mm cade that fits that movement would a 31 mm dial fit that case? 
      I guess my question is how does one tell if a dial will fit a case. I understand all cases are different
    • By east3rn
      Hello I had a chance to acquire to two watch movement+dial sets which are from JLC and AP
      However, I am having trouble finding cases to fit these.
      Could anyone help me find cases that would fit these movements?
      Non genuine cases are OK. 

• By GeorgeC
      I cleaned this watch today 12/18/2017.   Elgin 0 size 7 jewel manufactured in 1904, run quantity 2000.     What fabulous craftsmen we had before us, truly amazing.
      Had to solder hunting case front lid back on at the hinge.  Remove metal spring for the lid prior to laser soldering.
      Watch was in good condition and case is absolutely beautiful.
      Overhaul, new white alloy mainspring, hunting case glass crystal, solder front lid back to case and new bow installed and properly tightened to take out the flop
      Check out the 7 jewel on the timegrapher.

• By ArtfulMidget
      Hi,
      Can anyone help? I have a watch case that will exactly fit an ETA7751 movement but I cannot source or afford the movement. So I am on the lookout for an equivalent movement but am new to this. Can anyone advise which I should go for?
      Thanks. 
    • By Watchtime
      Got me this Omega DeVille quartz on a fleamarket. I think it has a cal 1365. I was wondering how to get the movement out of the caseback....