Probe Set

AshF

So you know when you're opening shock springs and you use one prong of your tweezers but then sometimes the other prong gets in the way.  Plastic probes are too soft for this job so I've been looking for a metal one.  I've been looking on Cousins website for ages (one of my favorite pastimes) but never saw anything suitable.  I was going to snap some old tweezers in half but then happened to look in the "Dental Tools" section and found these.

https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/probe-set

£2.15, worth a punt don't you think?

11 hours ago, AshF said:

I also suspect that @HectorLooiuses these very tools for dentistry!

Good gracious! NO! ?

Those are from India. I've bought some before many years ago from an electronic hobbyist supply store for cleaning up circuit boards after etching in ferric chloride. The quality is horrendous. The tips are as thick as knitting needles and they RUST!

• Haha 1

I use a broken oiler for opening shock springs. I also made my own tool by sticking a sewing needle into the end of a bamboo chopstick. But remember to cap them because they have a habit of stabbing you when you're rummaging for stuff on your bench.

• Like 1