eterna crowns

Hi

This may just be me? How the hell do you wind up a enterna centemaire watch, the crown is so small or my fingers to big. Its the only watch i have trouble winding up. I   know its automatic but i like to wind them to check keyless work is all fine. Also the auto winder is not working on this one so winding it up would have helped.

Is there a knack to winding them or is there some tool i could use to wind it.

I have just got a second one and its the same problem the crown is fitted and to small to wind.

My wife cannot do it nor any of the grand kids.

any  advice appreciated

cheers

gary

I had one of those too not to long ago, to wind it I had to push my finger forward from underneath instead of trying to rotate the crown. The design is a bit qirky. My fingers are like on a concert pianist so they also was useless in winding this one ?

Edited by HSL

Hi Gary  Nothing specific on the 1406U but have the 1407 1405, and according to Ranfft its close in design to the Zenith 135 so I popped that one on too.       There are manual watch winders out there they are like a small spring loaded clamp  I have attached images. They come in different sizes to fit the crowns.      cheers

winder clamp.jpg

winder clamp.jpg

1176_Eterna 1407.pdf Eterna 1405.pdf 2656_Zenith 135.pdf

I second watchweasol with the manual winder. I have one size that so far has fit 95% of the watches I work on, so I don't think you'll need a whole set. Saves the fingers, and winding some of the smaller size vintage crowns (and women's) with my tubby fingers was near impossible.

The challenge with these Eterna Centenaire  Is as I earlier said the design of how the watch case is designed. On the top the crown is sunk in and has a chamfer on the top to (Eterna called this concealed crown) . Underneath there is a groove machined. I assume it looks the same on Garys watch.
I wouldn’t recommend using a watch winder tool on this one since it will just slip on the chamfer and it even might scratch the crown.
Watch winding tools only should be used on a watch with well known functionality, if the key-less work is a bit bad due to wear and tear or old dirt the extra leverage the handle gives might break off the winding stem, the threading is the weak link here. So use those with care.
Eterna.png.e72cd211a7b703893df9f8df6684dffb.png

Edited by HSL