watch case matching for Zenith cal 88 mechanism

Hi,

I am new here, so sorry if doing something wrong, but have a question.

Recently I got Zenith cal 88 mechanism and dial (it's diameter is 19.4 mm)

Trying to match some case for it, but not sure how to do it right.

For example, found some Casio watch that I can use it's case of 23mm size

https://www.amazon.com/Casio-Womens-EAW-LTP-1094Q-9ARDF-Analog-Quartz/dp/B000VYSUUW

but not sure what it's internal diameter ?

Any help ?

15 minutes ago, Igal said:

Recently I got Zenith cal 88 mechanism and dial (it's diameter is 19.4 mm)

Trying to match some case for it, but not sure how to do it right.

Unfortunately matching a mov.t and case that are not made for each other is not easy at all, especially for or a beginner without machining tools and experience. Not only the the diameters mut be compatible but also the total height and the height of the stem. That even before examing the dial, the holder ring and other stuff.

That is the situation if you want an acceptable result. If you are OK with something cobbled up all you have to do is to cut and file some plastic spacer. 

• Like 1

Thanks a lot.

I am trying to find the native case, but so far no luck ?

Regarding adding some plastic ring and cutting it, what I can do with the crown pin length, if I use bigger diameter, it will be a problem, or I can somehow enlarge it ?

32 minutes ago, Igal said:

, what I can do with the crown pin length, if I use bigger diameter, it will be a problem, or I can somehow enlarge it ?

"Crown pin" would be the winding stem? You can buy stem extensions that go from a size to another. But really I reccomed you start with an easier and more traditional project.

28 minutes ago, Igal said:

Any content you can please advise to improve my current level (0.0) 

To learn watch repair there is one obvious place to go to since you are at this site.
https://www.watchfix.com/
Then there is another site if you decide watchmaking, is your thing.
https://learnwatchmaking.com/

The skill and knowledge you find between these two sites is probably the only thing you need to get you going.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Igal said:

Any content you can please advise to improve my current level (0.0) 

Get an €15 basic kit and some watches of no value from the drawers of family, etc. quartz or mechanical, does not make a difference but they must be working. 

Sit with work at elbow heigth and see if you can take them completely apart and put them back together. If you can do that without breaking or loosing any part, and if they will work, that would be an exceptional result for a beginner, so start the right expectation about that. 

That will make you understand if this hobby is right for you. So many have come to this forums declaring great passion and propositions, to not be ever heard again. 

51 minutes ago, Igal said:

Good point. Will work on my seiko 4R36A. Will post the photos of process if survive ?

Please get to attack something of zero value not a nice watch which by common sense is also quite costly. If you take apart that movement there is virtually zero chances you can put it back together without damage, we have plenty of threads from people which did that mistake exactly.

There is no need to be fixated about big brands in watchmaking, and one cannot pretend to run before learning how to walk. 

Hi, I don't have a zero value watch, but I do have some mechanism without balance spring ( I have ruined it some weeks before :).

So I kind of disassembled the 4R36A and my question if it looks ok and can I use ultrasonic cleaner to clean it, even thought I don't have any oil or grease yet. Meaning if I put it into water and then just dry it without oiling, might it catch some corrosion ? If I am talking nonsense, please let me know ?IMG_20210510_232731.thumb.jpg.def23968c95fef051b11bba080b6adf9.jpg

IMG_20210510_231247.jpg

IMG_20210510_231300.jpg

12 hours ago, Igal said:

So I kind of disassembled the 4R36A and my question if it looks ok and can I use ultrasonic cleaner to clean it, even thought I don't have any oil or grease yet. Meaning if I put it into water and then just dry it without oiling, might it catch some corrosion ? If I am talking nonsense, please let me know ?

If you dry the parts blowing air while in the thimble basket, then on absorbing paper there will be no corrosion, and for testing watches run just fine even when dry. Water alone is never used to clean watches, but demineralized water can be used as rinse between certain other solutions, have a read of the topic below.

Still, in general you are talking nonsense. Everyone is free to do as he wants with his property, but if you come to a repair forum don't expect to be anything but the proper way to do things. However your problem is not about oils, clean, dry or what else, is being able to put it back together a watch, have it working, and stop ruining. For the best chances put the 4R36 aside, get the tools, subscribe the watchfix.com training already suggested, at least get into understanding first how each part is called and what is its function.

We also like to respect every watch, no matter how cheap and useless, in admiration of the people that made it, which in most cases are hundreds time more able than us. That is the philosophy of watchmaking, doing things right or at least to the best of our abilities.

1 hour ago, jdm said:

We also like to respect every watch, no matter how cheap and useless, in admiration of the people that made it...

I've seen this time and time again on many youtube watch channels.  No matter the level of the watchmaker or the price of the watch, each time, the utmost respect is given to the watch.  Even Mark when he was investigating the fake Rolex gave it his full love and care.  Of course, then he took an angle grinder to it but that's another story.

24 minutes ago, Igal said:

I respect any watch, I just have this one,

Even if you can't leave house, or buy online, just leave a sign where you live that says, please "please gift me your zero value old watches for me to learn". Your Seiko 4R36 was working before you had the idea of using it a guinea pig to mess with the balance. Was that needed to learn, or a smart move? I don't think so. Are you alone in doing such things and even defending the act? Neither.

And this other thread sits on the other end of the spectrum, how to learn and fix watches which can proudly wear for almost no money

Actually it was of my kid. He broke the glass of the back case and watch stopped to work.

I have dissembled it until I have found the glass particle that I decided stopped the watch and tried to assemble again.

But for some reason, when I installed the balance wheel, it's didn't run, so I played with this until broken ?

Anyway, I ordered new mechanism, and already replaced, cost me 33$ NH36A, and it looks OK, still waiting for new bottom case cover to arrive ?

31 minutes ago, Igal said:

But for some reason, when I installed the balance wheel, it's didn't run, so I played with this until broken ?

Thank you for explaining, knowing that would have saved the lecture above. Now you can try to put that mov.t back together but the most delicate part of that is handling and even refitting the balance. A genuine Seiko balance complete cost little less that the complete mov.t as you bought. The are Chinese ones are cheap but not 100% guaranteed to work good. Whatever the route you take I hope can get it working, good luck.

Thanks,

Actually, I have another seiko, mine, with same 4R36 that is still working ? I was thinking to borrow the balance after I reassemble the current one to verify that it started to work, but it sounds that you don't suggest to do so