Missing winding stem

27 minutes ago, Daniel123 said:

Question for the group, I have a rather nice Swiss pocket watch movement without a stem, and advice on how to measure for a new one?

More than measure is about recognizing what it is, you can try looking on Ranfft database, or post a picture ( which is normally done for pretty much any discussion) of the back mentioning the size to help others help you. 

• Thanks 1

Hi,

Photo didn’t load up, the pocket watch is a Droz & Perret, St. Imier. Absolutely no chance of getting a winding stem off the shelf company stopped trading 150 years ago. I have an idea of how to measure up to make a winding stem but thought I’d ask the group first ?

808ACE68-536C-41EB-B06B-BD4966BB6024.jpeg

3 hours ago, Daniel123 said:

Photo didn’t load up, the pocket watch is a Droz & Perret, St. Imier.

That is likely just the caser which used ready movements. So there are chances it can be identified in some Bestfit catalog, or the like.

I have an idea of how to measure up to make a winding stem but thought I’d ask the group first ?

The article below is about making a stem from scratch, it mentions taking 14 measurements for the drawing. If you will take this route it will be nice to see  how it went.

https://www.great-british-watch.co.uk/how-to-make-a-windingstem/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, jdm said:

That is likely just the caser which used ready movements. So there are chances it can be identified in some Bestfit catalog, or the like.

the bestfit book works fine for more common watches or basically newer watches and there are some older books for the older ones that might give us a clue. Of course it would be nice to have the diameter so I don't have to look through huge sections of the book.

18 hours ago, Daniel123 said:

It would be amazing if I could find one ready made, I have a few documents I can look through I might find it

they would be a lot easier if we knew the movements. In the absence of the movements somebody could measure watch and then we can look in places like the bestfit book. Because a lot of times it's a lot easier to modify an existing stem that it is to make an entirely new stem. But we would need measurements to work with

• Thanks 1

I’ll do some measurements and post on here, I had the same idea of maybe finding something close and adapting it. I did have some luck yesterday and found an almost identical watch on eBay, it’s a slightly younger movement but by the same maker hopefully the winding stem is the same size then I can get accurate measurements to replace missing one ?