Podeba 2602 balance problem

Hi Everyone!

I´ve been practicing with some Pobeda watches that I got on Ebay as parts. This one have some problems with the pivots on the balance staff. I tried to replace the balance assembly with one obtained from a Vostok 2605, the movement looks similar to the 2602, so I though it could work. It didn´t. Finally, I end up replacing the hairspring, the balance cock on the previous assembly and it seems to work fine, after some juggling with the adjustment of the hairspring to correct the BE. The problem is that the timegrapher doesn´t give a meaningful reading. It seems like the watch is losing too much time. I suspect that problem may be the balance wheel that is coming from the 2605 (but also the roller).

This is my first strip down of a full movement, cleaning and reassembly, so any help will be greatly appreciated.

Best.

IMG_0398.jpg

IMG_0400.jpg

Wow, I'm impressed you even got those parts fitted together at all! Anyway, you simply can't expect things to work if you mix and match parts from various manufacturers and calibers. I believe that's the simple answer. I have never even considered it a possibility. Anyway, very enterprising!

Also, smart move to buy Russian to learn. IMO, the Russian movements are the most affordable on the planet.

Edited by VWatchie

Thank you, VWatchie, for the reply. I also thought mixing parts is not a good idea, but it was a great practice!!! I´ve been following your post on Russian movements and they are great. So, thanks very much for that. I just got some Vostok 2409 and your post on disassembly of this movement will be of great help.

One question, do you know where to get balance assembly parts for the 2602? I checked Cousin and Ebay, with not too much luck.

Thanks

• Like 1

Thank you for your kind words! ?

2 hours ago, Kepas said:

do you know where to get balance assembly parts for the 2602? I checked Cousin and Ebay, with not too much luck.

I'm afraid not. I believe your best bet is to find a donor watch. That way you'll get more practice extracting the part you need and you will have parts for future use. Or, try searching eBay for "pobeda 2602 parts". I did and a few options came up, and here is a new balance complete for the 2602.

Hi VWatchie, Thanks for your link, unfortunately, the Russian Federation does not ship to the end of the world, so Chile is excluded. I´ve been working with some donors that I got on ebay, the problem is that most of them don´t have a  functional balance, which it´s a pain, since some of them are beautiful old movements with Geneva stripes. It would be nice to seem them restored.

15 hours ago, Kepas said:

unfortunately, the Russian Federation does not ship to the end of the world, so Chile is excluded.

Are you sure? Russia is member of the Universal Postal Union and as such their Post must accept pieces for any destination. International tariffs link

https://www.pochta.ru/documents/10231/726549028/УУС+2021_.pdf/

Interstingly they do not group destinations by listing or continents but by distance - however measured. 

Then any individual seller is free to decide where they do ship and where not. I suggest that you contact the seller and inquire, he may be just be unfamiliar with remote destinations prices. 

• Like 1

Hi JDM, It´s a good suggestion to inquire the seller, it could be a problem with the tariff to remote places as you mention it. Although, the exclusion involves several countries. I´ve been able to get some scraps movements from Ukraine, that´s so far the closer to Rusia, I ´ve been able to get. Thanks.

516214917_ScreenShot2021-05-06at12_03_25.thumb.png.81db82867e0d5d4fa95fb0d5f6184365.png

3 hours ago, Kepas said:

Although, the exclusion involves several countries.

Like only shipping to rich countries, which is prejudicial and unfair. As a serious buyer you can give the seller a chance to make the sale and learn some geopolitics, if he doesn't agree that's his loss really.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I have played with a lot of Russian watches over the years and as far as I can remember they all share the same click layout, namely a spigot around which a roughly circular click with a tooth pivots, and about which an almost circular wire spring sits with one end bent up to engage the click and the other end bent down to engage a hole in the barrel bridge, and a central screw to hold it all in place.

With this design so long as the ratchet wheel is removed there is no tension on the click or its spring which means no motive force to propel anything anywhere.

So with the power let down you simply remove the ratchet wheel, undo the click screw, and lift out the click and the spring, first noting (or better still photographing) the orientation of each part.

If at this point a part goes flying it is likely to be more to do with tweezer technique than movement design, so, ensure that your tweezers are well dressed. The rule of thumb here is that the tips should be such that you can pick up a hair from a piece of glass. Then practice your technique. You only need to squeeze the tweezers enough to pick the part up, and no more. The harder you grip with the tweezers the more motive force you impart to the part when it inevitably makes a break for it, and the further it will fly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1