3d printed spring winder

I enjoy making tools and over the past couple weeks, I’d keep in the back of my mind to print a spring winder.

Heres the first version that wound a spring 10CA2D31-C109-4120-B31C-66E109AD5554.thumb.jpeg.3df48b3a1c6e794a4a67489f51eec3b0.jpeg

at first, I tried to print the nib that catches the spring head, but it didn’t work. I made another plastic connector with a .050 hole to fit brass rod I could file.

everything fit so tight with sanding, it didn’t need much glue -if any. The nib can be rotated 180 to wind in both hands.

BE73DEC8-DFFC-457F-A1AE-C8677BE14BA5.thumb.jpeg.ade712aeb4a6b0599d20de259e4b4d4a.jpeg

It winds the mainspring into a customizable cassette . I wound this spring the wrong direction so I have to rotate the nib the other direction and cut a hole for the spring to track. 

42252DDC-3CF3-4F7B-ADCB-755468E857FC.thumb.jpeg.c6c043643946e57f56e1b3405a79e674.jpegI tried to be lazy and cut a trough in with a razor saw(the photo above was before I cut the trough). I couldn’t even get the spring to fit without kinking it. I guess it really is that delicate. I’ll draw up a new cassette tomorrow and print it. It was only eleven minutes to make:/ 

i really hope I have diagnosed this watch correctly and this fix will make it reliable. This is the tenth piece I’ve worked on that I haven’t fully figured out what’s wrong with it. A success would be fantastic!?

I have been 3D printing for about five years.  Made lots of cool tools and repair parts for things around the house. It is always a challenge when I go small, however--just not enough resolution.

Looks like you made this work.  I cannot see how you push out the mainspring into the barrel.

I have taken the well-known clock winder plans and drawn them in my 3D tool.  Have not printed yet.  Will use metal parts for all critical, high-stress parts--just 3D print the frame elements.

Im happy to hear others use printing to make functional objects!

I used to have a resin printer. It was good when it worked but it was just too much maintenance so i sold it.

wnd.jpg.6207dc7b7dbf8a956de6e2acdf1ea064.jpg

I changed the cassette to the model on the left so I can wind it either direction without hurting the mainspring.

To get the spring out, you treat it like the mainsprings you buy-place it over the barrel and push it out with tweezers through the slit. 

I hope you try your winder and let me know how it turns out!

Thats a good question.  What ive had to consistently do is to pay attention to the hook through the trough.  It likes to wedge open so i pinch it with tweezers and push it through. Im getting the hang of it now.

Id imagine something similar with an automatic mainspring and Id probable make the trough a little more open to accommodate or go back to the one winding direction