Pocket watch mainspring.

Hello All.

This is my first time on the forum . I am a retired Motor Technician and have recently found the joy of watch repair.

I have been asked to repair a friends Pocket Watch that was issued to her grandfather in 1937 for 25 years service with GWR. It has no makers signing on the dial but has the markings     ASSA on the movement.

The problem is the mainspring is snapped and I cannot locate an exact match on Cousins parts cataloge. The dimensions on the broken spring are as follows 2.1 height , .11 thickness,15.7barrel diameter and 385mm length. I can only match some of these dimentions on Cousins.My question is what dimension is the most important to try to match. 

The closest diamiter I can acheive is 15.5 the hight I can get a match at 2.1 but thickness cannot be acheived nor exact length.

I would appreciate your expert opinions on this problem. 

Many Thanks and Regards.

Hello Jerryvs  there are no numbers on the movement, just ASSA .i will try and send some photos but I am having problems with navigating the site.I clicked on the into link but could not enter any text so apologies if I have broken protocol Iwill proibably master it as time goes by.

regards

Bryn.

Hello Michael. Thanks for the reply.I havent had any luck locating a Mainspring. I am even trying to get the old one repaired by getting the bridle welded back on.this is all I can think of due to my lack of success locating a replacement. It is only the bridle that is broken I think. Regards.

Bryn

Hi Bryn, ( @Tryandrepairit )

You haven't had many replies here. Try and post your issue up in here.

Hopefully the right person will come along and assist. I have seen some of the members assist people with selecting a replacement mainspring that is different to what is trying to be replaced, but will work. I don't profess to know enough about that, so hope you can get some recommendations.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.